Cab driver shot in Camden identified
CAMDEN, N.J. - September 29, 2010 (WPVI) -- Police are looking for whoever shot a taxi driver Camden, New Jersey.
The shooting happened just after 2:30 a.m. Wednesday near the intersection of 7th and Cherry streets near I-676.
The driver, 47-year-old William Davis of Camden, was shot multiple times and taken to Cooper University Hospital in critical condition.
Police believe this may have been an attempted robbery.
His son tells Action News, he was robbed a couple months ago.
Davis has been driving a yellow cab in Camden for about a year and a half.
"It's just a shock, you know, you hear it from everyone else, but you don't expect it to happen so close; he's like a family member, all the guys are like sons to me," Yellow Cab dispatcher Nina Spina said.
According to his son, Davis, the father of three and grandfather of two, is expected to pull through.
Paul Badjwa, the owner of the Yellow Cab Company in Camden for 13 years, says he prays that Davis will be OK.
This is the third time in the last year that a Camden cab driver was shot in the overnight hours.
Cabbies Action News spoke with say they won't drive at night. As for crime, they say the shootings grab headlines, but there are numerous robberies.
"We are all scared, we have to worry about the families and our friends because we are all trying to make a living," cab driver Freddie Rodriguez said.
Yellow Cab is one of the few cab companies that operates in Camden 24 hours a day. Noting the dangers of driving a cab in the overnight hours, the owner says he may rethink that.
shooting, camden, camden county, new jersey, cathy gandolfo, crime
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight simulator
- AccuWeather: Tracking light snow tonight
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car 16 min ago
- Police: Man strikes own brother in hit and run
- Berks County man stabbed to death in Bahamas
- 2 men, sitting in SUV, shot in Chester
- Van crash leaves 2 men trapped in Center City
- Victim critical after stabbing in Frankford
- 2 women injured in Overbrook fire
- Crimea votes on Ukraine secession
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Book 'em! Wilmington cop donates books to kids 23 min ago
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by...
16 min ago