Home vandalized while airman helps war wounded
PEDRICKTOWN, N.J. - October 11, 2010 (WPVI) -- An Air Force master sergeant is trying to put the pieces of his home back together after it was struck by young vandals.
It happened on Cherry Street in Pedricktown, Salem County. Police say the culprits were children as young as 11 years old.
Senior Master Sergeant Jeffry Springsteen, a 23 year Air Force veteran is a load master on C-130 cargo planes. Between September 2nd and 9th Springsteen was stateside, shuttling wounded military members to hospitals at their home bases.
When he returned home, he was shocked.
"I came around the driveway and noticed part of the window was broken," said Springsteen. "They threw a TV at the wall. There were holes in doors."
"It was like a tornado went through the house. All of the cabinets, drawers, everything just emptied. They went through every square inch of the house," said Springsteen.
In addition to thousands of dollars in damage, the vandals left trash, stole jewelry and alcohol and left behind human waste.
Police arrested seven juveniles ages 11 to 17.
Springsteen, who is also the commander of the Penns Grove VFW, said he was hurt by the bad behavior.
"Here I am serving serving my country, and through the VFW serving my community and trying to be so optimistic about children. Then I come home to this and it takes you back three steps," said Springsteen.
Apparently the juveniles were planning another party before they were busted.
They're now charged with burglary, theft, criminal trespass, mischief and vandalism.
new jersey, salem county, vandalism, cathy gandolfo, crime, cathy gandolfo
- Building under demolition collapses in Old City 1 min ago
- Windy and cold today 57 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 3rd suspect ID'd in Exton jewelry store theft 52 min ago
- Saints will trade Sproles to Eagles; Birds sign Carroll
- Driver fleeing police kills 2 at SXSW festival
- Malaysia: No debris in area shown on China images
- 2 weeks after waking up in body bag, Miss. man dies 28 min ago
- 7th body recovered after NYC explosion
- High winds cause damage across the region
- Photos: Pictures from Thursday's wind damage
- Christie talks taxes at town hall meeting 59 min ago
- Video: Man punches boy, 8, steals his iPad