Home vandalized while airman helps war wounded
PEDRICKTOWN, N.J. - October 11, 2010 (WPVI) -- An Air Force master sergeant is trying to put the pieces of his home back together after it was struck by young vandals.
It happened on Cherry Street in Pedricktown, Salem County. Police say the culprits were children as young as 11 years old.
Senior Master Sergeant Jeffry Springsteen, a 23 year Air Force veteran is a load master on C-130 cargo planes. Between September 2nd and 9th Springsteen was stateside, shuttling wounded military members to hospitals at their home bases.
When he returned home, he was shocked.
"I came around the driveway and noticed part of the window was broken," said Springsteen. "They threw a TV at the wall. There were holes in doors."
"It was like a tornado went through the house. All of the cabinets, drawers, everything just emptied. They went through every square inch of the house," said Springsteen.
In addition to thousands of dollars in damage, the vandals left trash, stole jewelry and alcohol and left behind human waste.
Police arrested seven juveniles ages 11 to 17.
Springsteen, who is also the commander of the Penns Grove VFW, said he was hurt by the bad behavior.
"Here I am serving serving my country, and through the VFW serving my community and trying to be so optimistic about children. Then I come home to this and it takes you back three steps," said Springsteen.
Apparently the juveniles were planning another party before they were busted.
They're now charged with burglary, theft, criminal trespass, mischief and vandalism.
new jersey, salem county, vandalism, cathy gandolfo, crime, cathy gandolfo
- Lockdown at high school in Bethlehem 1 min ago
- Lots of sun, chilly today 55 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Boy dies after Mayfair drowning incident 19 min ago
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead
- Minivan, car collide head-on in Paoli 57 min ago
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught on video
- Lockdown lifted at Pennsbury High School 2 min ago
- Made In America Festival in Philly and LA
- Elderly woman hurt in East Windsor apartment fire 39 min ago
- 19-year-old struck, killed in Bordentown ID'd 5 min ago
- 292 missing, 4 dead in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: Wawa celebrates 50 years
- 19-year-old struck, killed in Bordentown ID'd
5 min ago
- High winds bring damage to Abington Twp.
50 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos