Phila. teacher accused of stealing laptops
PHILADELPHIA - October 12, 2010 (WPVI) -- Only Action News was there as Philadelphia Police put Kathleen Kremis into a van on her way to face 42 counts of theft.
The Ethan Allen Elementary teacher is accused of stealing more than 40 Apple laptops from the school.
"These are essential tools for our kids, and here we have a teacher accused of stealing laptops, the tools these kids need," said Fernando Gallard of the Philadelphia School District.
Philadelphia Police say Kremis began stealing the computers about a year ago and continued until this past August.
Investigators say Kremis, and her husband, Thomas Perry, would pawn the laptops at a Kensington Avenue pawn shop for a little over $100.
When they never returned for the merchandise, the owner began peeling back stickers Kremis had placed on them.
That's when he saw the school district labels.
"Even if you take these plates off, a marking is left behind that also identifies it as property of the School District of Philadelphia," said Gallard.
The owner of the pawn shop didn't want to talk on camera but tells Action News he became suspicious long before going to police, but Kremis told him she was a teacher at a private school undergoing financial difficulties.
Why Kremis and her husband allegedly stole the laptops and needed the money is unclear. Investigators say they're not cooperating.
Meanwhile, the district says Kremis has been suspended without pay and will be fired if convicted.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, theft, school, chad pradelli, crime, chad pradelli
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife 53 min ago
- Brief Surge of Mild Air 3 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man shot by off-duty cop during fight ID'd
- Mutilated animal in Brewerytown possibly a bobcat 10 min ago
- Police investigate 2 shootings at illegal Trenton bar
- Saving with 6abc: Bridal savings 2 min ago
- Wynnewood community mourns college student's death 19 min ago
- Man arrested after Phila. police crash, chase ID'd
- Accused wedding crasher thief pleads guilty
- Police step up search in deadly hit-and-run 56 min ago
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects 22 min ago
- Stolen passports probed in Malaysian plane mystery
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
22 min ago