Possible police impersonator sought in Wilmington
WILMINGTON - October 14, 2010 (WPVI) -- Delaware State Police are searching for a possible police impersonator.
The incident occurred just after 1:30 p.m. Wednesday.
A driver was traveling north on I-95, north of US 202 and was approaching Marsh Road. The driver told troopers that she passed a light blue Kia Sorento after it changed lanes.
When the driver passed, that SUV type vehicle moved behind her car.
The Kia began to flash its headlights.
The suspect vehicle then moved along side her car and the suspect driver began to motion for her to pullover as he was holding up what appeared to be a badge contained in a black case.
The female driver became scared because she was alone and did not pull over. The driver exited at Marsh Road and drover for approximately 3 miles before the Kia stopped following her in the area of Marsh Road and Silverside Road.
She even made a few U-turns in order to keep the vehicle from following her.
The female driver went home and called state police.
Troopers would like to find the operator of the Kia Sorento.
Anyone with information concerning the driver of the Kia is asked to contact the state police at Troop - 1 by dialing 302-761-6677.
Callers may remain anonymous. Tips may also be forwarded to law enforcement through tip lines maintained by Delaware Crime Stoppers at 1-800-TIP-333 3 or on line at www.tipsubmit.com.
- State police would like to remind motorists to do the following if they are being stopped by a person that they don't believe to be a police officer:
- Activate the vehicle's flashes
- Don't increase speed or incite a pursuit
- Drive at a normal speed to a crowded and/or well lit area
- Use a cell phone to report the activity
- If you stop in a public area and are approached by someone not in uniform, roll the vehicle window down about ½ inch and ask for identification
- Ask for a uniformed officer to respond to the car stop (Copyright ©2014 WPVI-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)
delaware, police impersonator, wilmington, crime
- Multi-alarm fire at NJ apartment complex 2 min ago
- Lots of sun, chilly today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of damage from Tuesday's storm 8 min ago
- High winds bring damage to Abington Twp. 7 min ago
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught on video
- Driver loses control, hits parked SUV in South Philly
- Free coffee as Wawa celebrates 50th 55 min ago
- Man charged with hoax near marathon finish line
- Bucks Co. runner set to return to Boston Marathon
- Chaka Fattah Jr. files $10 million federal lawsuit
- Police: Pa. man tries to snatch baby from stroller
- 292 missing, 4 dead in South Korea ferry disaster 14 min ago
- High winds bring damage to Abington Twp.
7 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos