Police probe dozens of thefts from cars
EVESHAM TWP., N.J. - October 27, 2010 (WPVI) -- It's never really a good idea to leave your car unlocked, and some people in Evesham Township are the latest to find that out the hard way.
A total of 29 thefts from vehicles have been reported since October 8th, with some 83 since June. In all but three instances, the vehicles were left unlocked with valuables inside.
"They're stealing wallets left in the car, they're stealing electronic equipment - iPods, GPS systems," said Cpt. Frank Locantore of the Evesham Township Police.
One of the victims was 18-year-old Andre Edinborough. One night last week he parked his car on the street in front of his parent's house. Unfortunately, he forgot to lock the doors.
The thieves took a laptop and an iPod.
Police say most of the thefts occurred in neighborhoods north of Route 70 and east of Route 73 with quick access to major roads.
In addition, police say 25 homes have been burglarized in the last four months.
Capt. Locantore said these are crimes of opportunity and residents should keep windows, doors and garages locked - especially with the holidays approaching, when these crimes escalate.
"Burglars are out, cruising the neighborhoods, looking for empty homes that they can get into and get out of very quickly," he said, adding the burglars are probably looking for quick drug money.
Anyone with information on these crimes is asked to contact police at 856-983-1111.
new jersey, burlington county, burglary, cathy gandolfo, crime, cathy gandolfo
- Photos: Pictures from Easter Sunday services
- AccuWeather: Easter to be comfortable, breezy
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Video: 5,000 turn out for Easter service in Mt. Airy
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Man shot, killed in Gloucester Twp. apartment
- Man found shot in minivan in Tioga-Nicetown
- Girl hospitalized after near-drowning in Philly hotel
- 2 injured after car hits Camden police cruiser
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
- Divers pull more bodies from sunken South Korean ferry
- Video: Snowmobiler charged by angry moose