Police investigate attempted luring in Delaware
STANTON, Del. - October 28, 2010 (WPVI) -- Delaware State Police are looking into the report of a man who allegedly attempted to lure a child into his work van Wednesday evening.
The incident occurred at approximately 6:10 p.m. as the 12-year-old girl was standing on the sidewalk awaiting a ride outside Stanton Middle School, located on Limestone Road.
The girl tells investigators that a man driving a white van entered the school driveway and pulled up next to her. The man then told the girl to "get in the van".
The girl tells police she then held her iPod to her ear and told the man she was calling 9-1-1. He then fled and was last seen traveling southbound on Limestone Road.
The suspect is described as a white male, 35-45 years of age, with a dark crew cut styled hair. He was last seen wearing a dark sweatshirt and was operating a white work van.
A spokesperson for Red Clay School District says the girl is not a student at Stanton Middle School or in the Red Clay District. Because the incident occurred near one of their schools, the School District will make parents aware of what happened through 'Alert Now,' which is a phone message alert system.
If anyone has any information in reference to this incident they are asked to contact Troop 6 at 302-633-5000 or Delaware Crime Stoppers at 1-800-TIP-3333.
abduction, kidnapping, delaware, crime
- Oklahoma tornado was top-of-the-scale EF-5
- Steamy Situation 34 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Oklahoma Tornado: How to help and avoid scams
- Local search and rescue team helping in Oklahoma
- Rob Jennings to retire after 36 Years at 6abc
- Police: 2 caught red-handed in Radnor burlgary
- Box of ammo explodes, injuring man in Del. 40 min ago
- Couple charged in theft of $854K from township
- Prosecutor: Prison can't hold Savage's rage 39 min ago
- NJ ex-priest jailed after working with kids
- Skippack student may have 'voluntarily' vanished
- New push to revitalize West Philly's Lancaster Ave.