Two armed robberies may be linked
PHILADELPHIA - November 12, 2010 (WPVI) -- Philadelphia police are trying to track down a gang of bandits who have struck in East Oak Lane and North Philadelphia, who are apparently heavily armed and are not afraid to show their firepower.
Police believe one man could be connected to both of these robberies that happened within days of each other.
Surveillance video shows three men bursting into Shop Express at 6900 Old York Road back on November 2nd around 7:15 p.m.
Two were carrying shotguns and one had a handgun.
In the video, two immediately jump over the counter to raid the register and force employees in a back room.
The third keeps lookout.
They made off with over $1,000 and lottery tickets.
"These guys were armed to bear. If a police officer had come in, it would have been an ugly, ugly scene," Philadelphia Police Lt. Ray Evers said.
It was just days earlier on October 30th around 6:15 p.m. when there was another shotgun robbery.
This one at a corner variety store on the 2500 block of West Somerset and only involving one armed man..
"I didn't get a good luck at his face because I was scared, I never had an experience like that before," store owner Johanna Rodriguez said through a translator.
Video shows the suspect walking through the aisles ensuring he's alone before displaying a large single barrel shotgun, with the barrel sawed off hidden in his sleeve.
He gets $150 from the register and takes off.
Police believe this male could have been involved with both shotgun robberies.
There are similarities in the weapon, his baseball cap with a straight brim, as well as a likeness in weight and facial features.
The man is described as in his mid 20s, around 180 pounds, around 6 feet tall.
Anyone with information is asked to call Northwest Detectives at (215) 686-3353/3354.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, east oak lane, north philadelphia, robbery, crime, katherine scott
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids
- Freeze Warning overnight
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Delco man missing after leaving medical facility
- Puppy poisoned in Mantua, New Jersey
- Lehigh University suspends frat in vandalism case
- All-clear given after Liberty H.S. lockdown
- Ferry sinks off South Korea; hundreds still missing
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead
- Wawa celebrates 50th birthday with big gifts
- Photos: Wawa celebrates 50 years
- Voorhees police need help identifying this man