Throat slashing at Delco bar caught on tape
UPPER DARBY, Pa. - November 16, 2010 (WPVI) -- Police have arrested a man who allegedly slashed the throat of a bar patron in Delaware County, sending him to the hospital.
The attack from last week at Brownie's Pub was caught on tape, but it may have been the quick actions of other bar patrons that helped bring the suspect into custody.
On the video the victim is seen in a white T-shirt sitting down at a table.
"The victim was just sitting there minding his own business," said Supt. Michael Chitwood of the Upper Darby Police.
His attacker stands behind him, then suddenly reaches down and slashes the victim's throat.
The victim leaps to his feet and runs to the front of the bar, as other patrons start realizing something's wrong. The attacker runs to the back of the bar and then out the back door.
Several patrons are right on his heels.
"Normally the bystanders are running the other way, but in this particular incident the bystanders took aggressive action and helped us get the guy," Chitwood said.
A short time later the victim stumbles into the hallway, and sits on a bench. One man takes off his shirt and presses it to the victim's throat, trying to stop the bleeding. Another emerges from a side room with a towel to bandage the victim's neck.
"His neck was just slashed, you could see where it was cut at, you could see the blood coming down his T-shirt," said witness Richard Blye.
The victim was rushed to the hospital in serious condition.
The suspect has been identified as 24 year old Julius Wilcox of Clifton Heights. The bar patrons say they had never seen him before.
Police say he used a rigging knife in the attack with a very sharp, seriated edge.
Despite the fact that he was armed and had just attacked a total stranger, regulars at the bar say it's not surprising that people ran after him.
"We're all family around here. We try to take care of each other, watch each other's backs, you know what I mean?" said Blye.
The police say this appears to be a completely random attack and the victim claims he had never seen Wilcox before.
Wilcox is facing multiple charges tonight, including attempted murder and aggravated assault, and he's being held on $750,000 cash bail.
pennsylvania, delaware county, upper darby, stabbing, assault, crime, david henry
- Missing Philadelphia couple found safe
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain 6 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett to announce Vatican trip
- Police identify mystery hit-and-run victim 50 min ago
- Officers drive into hail of gunfire in N. Phila.
- Shots fired into a Philadelphia firehouse
- Retired Philly cop charged with assaulting teen
- Police: Gloucester Co. woman's death a homicide
- Resident return to assess damage from Ewing explosion
- Video: Secret Oreo cookie recipe sold to China
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: Wedding of cop, teacher at Flower Show
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain
6 min ago
- Police identify mystery hit-and-run victim
50 min ago