Throat slashing at Delco bar caught on tape
UPPER DARBY, Pa. - November 16, 2010 (WPVI) -- Police have arrested a man who allegedly slashed the throat of a bar patron in Delaware County, sending him to the hospital.
The attack from last week at Brownie's Pub was caught on tape, but it may have been the quick actions of other bar patrons that helped bring the suspect into custody.
On the video the victim is seen in a white T-shirt sitting down at a table.
"The victim was just sitting there minding his own business," said Supt. Michael Chitwood of the Upper Darby Police.
His attacker stands behind him, then suddenly reaches down and slashes the victim's throat.
The victim leaps to his feet and runs to the front of the bar, as other patrons start realizing something's wrong. The attacker runs to the back of the bar and then out the back door.
Several patrons are right on his heels.
"Normally the bystanders are running the other way, but in this particular incident the bystanders took aggressive action and helped us get the guy," Chitwood said.
A short time later the victim stumbles into the hallway, and sits on a bench. One man takes off his shirt and presses it to the victim's throat, trying to stop the bleeding. Another emerges from a side room with a towel to bandage the victim's neck.
"His neck was just slashed, you could see where it was cut at, you could see the blood coming down his T-shirt," said witness Richard Blye.
The victim was rushed to the hospital in serious condition.
The suspect has been identified as 24 year old Julius Wilcox of Clifton Heights. The bar patrons say they had never seen him before.
Police say he used a rigging knife in the attack with a very sharp, seriated edge.
Despite the fact that he was armed and had just attacked a total stranger, regulars at the bar say it's not surprising that people ran after him.
"We're all family around here. We try to take care of each other, watch each other's backs, you know what I mean?" said Blye.
The police say this appears to be a completely random attack and the victim claims he had never seen Wilcox before.
Wilcox is facing multiple charges tonight, including attempted murder and aggravated assault, and he's being held on $750,000 cash bail.
pennsylvania, delaware county, upper darby, stabbing, assault, crime, david henry
- Nelson Mandela dies at age 95 59 min ago
- Wet to Wintry 31 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Photos: Nelson Mandela: Through the years
- Police raid alleged chop shop in North Philadelphia 4 min ago
- Restaurant owner slashes robber with sushi knife
- Feds accused of targeting minorities in stash house stings 40 min ago
- Center City rape victims speaks to Action News 52 min ago
- Surveillance: Christmas packages stolen from home 50 min ago
- Christmas decoration theft caught on camera
- Fmr. Marine's murder suspect held on $2M bail
- Photos: 21 suspects ID'd in Collingdale drug sweep
- Arrest in theft of Porsche part from Walker crash 20 min ago
- Nelson Mandela dies at age 95
59 min ago
- Surveillance: Christmas packages stolen...
50 min ago