Plea deal struck in Sabina O'Donnell killing
PHILADELPHIA - November 18, 2010 (WPVI) -- Action News has learned that the accused murderer of Sabina O'Donnell has struck a deal with prosecutors.
Donte Johnson has agreed to plead guilty in common pleas court on December 10th in the murder and rape of 20-year-old O'Donnell.
Johnson, 18, was arrested in June and charged with murder, rape and related offenses.
Authorities say Johnson initially tried to rob O'Donnell of her bike outside her Northern Liberties apartment as she was returning home from her waitressing job on June 2nd, but the attack escalated.
Prosecutors say Johnson confessed to the killing and DNA evidence from the crime scene linked him to the attack.
Prompted by surveillance footage and an anonymous tip, police began searching for Johnson after O'Donnell's body was discovered.
His mother later arranged for him to turn himself in to police.
"If it wasn't for the tip caller we may not have came to this as soon as we did," Philadelphia Police Officer Joseph Goodwin said at the time. "So she deserves all the credit."
Sabina's mother Rachel and her stepfather Mark Rounds spoke with Action News back on June 17th.
They gave their reaction to the arrest of Johnson.
"Very happy that he's caught, but it doesn't change anything really," Rachel said.
"That's basically just the beginning of the end because we're hoping we don't have to face a trial," Mark said.
With the reported plea deal in place, it does not look like a trial will occur.
"We love her and we miss her and we know she knows that and we know wherever she is is a good place," Rachel said about her daughter.
Sabina's parents are hoping through the Sabina Rose Memorial Fund, ways can be found to keep things like this from happening again.
Sabina Rose O'Donnell Memorial Fund
c/o Hyperion Bank
199 W. Girard Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19123
The Associated Press contributed to this article
philadelphia, pennsylvania, homicide, sex assault, beating, crime
- Arrest in death of retired Villanova professor
- Warmer Weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in Overbrook shooting
- Multi-vehicle crash on Schuylkill Expressway
- Ransomeware a growing cyber threat for thousands
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Student robbed at gunpoint inside Philly school
- Video released of AK-47 robbery in Wynnefield
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ
- Missing 2-year-old found, mom's ex-boyfriend arrested
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish
- Video: Flyers' Hartnell co-authors children's book