Suspect killed in police shooting on Penn's campus
UNIVERSITY CITY - November 21, 2010 (WPVI) -- University of Pennsylvania police shot and killed a suspect after they say two men opened fire on them overnight.
It all started around 2:45 a.m. with the carjacking of a Cadillac by two men near the intersection of 50th and Arch Streets.
The victim called Philadelphia Police who broadcast a description of the vehicle on police radio. A short time later officers from the 16th district observed the Cadillac traveling east on Locust Street and tried to pull the vehicle over, however the Cadillac sped away with police right behind them.
A few blocks away near the intersection of 40th and Locust Walk the driver of the Cadillac lost control and jumped the curb, striking a concrete barrier.
Penn police picked up the chase on foot. That's when they say the men started shooting at them.
The Penn officers shot back, killing one of the suspects. The other suspect was arrested at the scene.
No officers or students were wounded.
A message from University of Pennsylvania Vice President for Public Safety Maureen S. Rush reads in part:
- "Unfortunately, tonight our community was subjected to violence that began with an armed carjacking at 50th & Arch Streets ... Although we never want to experience this type of violence near our campus, I am very proud of the expert response from our PennComm Communications Center, AlliedBarton Security and most importantly, from our very brave and tactically proficient Penn Police Officers and Supervisors."
police, police chase, shooting, university city, philadelphia, pennsylvania, crime
- 4 charged with murder in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- Record Warmth!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Police investigate tire slashings in South Philadelphia
- Arrest in death of retired Villanova professor
- Police investigate truck accident on Roosevelt Boulevard
- Police investigate double shooting in Mantua
- 3 rescued after car plunges into Delaware pond
- 2 suspects wanted in home invasion in Dover 49 min ago
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Student robbed at gunpoint inside Philly school
- Missing 2-year-old found, mom's ex-boyfriend arrested
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish