Police: Woman wearing burqa robbed banks
WILMINGTON, Del. (AP) - December 12, 2010 (WPVI) -- State police say they've arrested a Wilmington woman who committed two bank robberies while wearing a burqa.
Thirty-year-old Lashawnda Jones was arrested Friday and faces charges including robbery, conspiracy and wearing a disguise during a felony.
Police say Jones robbed two TD Bank branches - one in Bear on Oct. 15 and one in Wilmington on Oct. 22. Each time, she wore a burqa - a traditional Islamic garment that covers the face. Police say she's also wanted for robberies at TD Bank branches in Pennsylvania and New Jersey.
In both of the Delaware robberies, police say Jones handed the teller a note demanding money and implying she was armed. Police say she was accompanied by another woman, also wearing a burqa, during the second robbery.
Police say Jones became a suspect after a retired detective pointed out that he'd arrested her in 2004 for similar crimes.
delaware, wilmington, bank robbery, crime
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids 33 min ago
- Freeze Warning overnight
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Delco man missing after leaving medical facility
- Lehigh University suspends frat in vandalism case 22 min ago
- All-clear given after Liberty H.S. lockdown
- Ferry sinks off South Korea; 6 dead, 290 missing
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- Voorhees police need help identifying this man
- Burlco man charged in brother's hit-and-run death
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead
- Made In America Festival in Philly and LA
- Photos: Royal family kicks off tour of Australia