Police: Woman wearing burqa robbed banks
WILMINGTON, Del. (AP) - December 12, 2010 (WPVI) -- State police say they've arrested a Wilmington woman who committed two bank robberies while wearing a burqa.
Thirty-year-old Lashawnda Jones was arrested Friday and faces charges including robbery, conspiracy and wearing a disguise during a felony.
Police say Jones robbed two TD Bank branches - one in Bear on Oct. 15 and one in Wilmington on Oct. 22. Each time, she wore a burqa - a traditional Islamic garment that covers the face. Police say she's also wanted for robberies at TD Bank branches in Pennsylvania and New Jersey.
In both of the Delaware robberies, police say Jones handed the teller a note demanding money and implying she was armed. Police say she was accompanied by another woman, also wearing a burqa, during the second robbery.
Police say Jones became a suspect after a retired detective pointed out that he'd arrested her in 2004 for similar crimes.
delaware, wilmington, bank robbery, crime
- Break dancers spark controversy on SEPTA trains
- Snow likely Sunday into Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike
- Paulsboro residents warned of contaminated water
- Pit bull found shot in NJ continues to recover
- Missing plane: Piracy theory gains more credence
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
- 3 injured in 2-alarm fire in Holmesburg
- Teen father arrested for biting nose off infant
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police