Man in 60s stabbed multiple times in Center City
CENTER CITY - January 6, 2011 (WPVI) -- A man waiting for his wife at a Center City hair salon was stabbed multiple times inside a nearby restroom.
Philadelphia Police and medics were called for a report of a stabbing just before 11:00 a.m. at the former Lit Brothers Building, now known as the Mellon Independence Center, located at 7th and Market.
When rescuers arrived they found the victim, identified by the owner of the hair salon as 64-year-old Ben Davis of Camden, suffering from multiple stab wounds.
According to officials on scene, Davis and his wife were at a hair salon for a regular appointment. Daviswould usually wait at a table at a nearby food court while his wife was in the salon.
This time, Davis went to a nearby men's room where he was approached by a man with a knife, police said. That man has been identified as 23-year-old William Berrioz.
There was a confrontation and Davis was stabbed multiple times, suffering multiple stab wounds to the chest along with injuries to the hairline of his head and face.
Davis stumbled back to the hair salon where he collapsed as the owner started first aid.
"He staggered into our waiting room and he was bleeding profusely from the head and chest. I got towels, wet towels, compresses to try and stop the bleeding," said salon owner Billy Brocco
His assistant called 911 and rescuers arrived within five minutes, Brocco said.
The suspect attempted to flee, but a security guard took off after the man and captured him - holding the suspect until officers arrived.
Davis was transported to Thomas Jefferson University Hospital where he was last reported in fair condition.
Berrioz faces a number of charges including robbery, aggravated assault and attempted murder.
pennsylvania, philadelphia, center city, stabbing, crime
- Armored car robbed outside bank in Tacony
- Partly sunny, a bit milder today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mom to surrender after daughter, 11, shot and killed 36 min ago
- Police investigate serious crash in Levittown
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids 20 min ago
- Photos: Pictures from Del. River minivan plunge
- Popular chocolate maker shut down by city
- Delco man missing after leaving medical facility
- Rottweiler puppy poisoned in NJ
- Teen urinates in Oregon drinking water supply 39 min ago
- Video: Parents outraged by faked kidnapping
- Photos: Adorable meerkats befriend photographer
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3...
20 min ago