Manayunk teacher death ruled 'suspicious'
MANAYUNK - January 30, 2011 (WPVI) -- Homicide investigators are on the case of what was first thought to be a suicide in Manayunk until the medical examiner ruled otherwise.
Investigators now say that 27-year-old Ellen Rae Greenberg was stabbed multiple times in the chest and torso, resulting in her death.
Still, police pointed out in a news release on Saturday, the case has not yet been officially ruled a homicide.
"Homicide investigators are considering the manner of death as suspicious at this time," read part of the statement from the police media relations unit.
Police were back out at the Venice Lofts of Flat Rock Road on Friday searching for information on her death.
She died Wednesday night during the height of the snowstorm.
Presently, police are not saying if they have any theories as to how Greenberg died. However, there may be clues provided by the numerous security cameras and a guard at the front door of the complex.
Meantime, residents of this secure building with 24 hour staff can't believe something like this happened in their building.
"I have a young son and a wife, too, so I can only imagine what her family is going through," said Tejinder Gill. "It's horrible."
Greenberg was one of the founding teachers of Juniata Park Academy on East Hunting Park where she taught first grade.
In a statement, the school district says, in part - Ellen Rae Greenberg made a significant positive impact in the life of students, colleagues and the entire school family. She will be greatly missed.
In an online memorial page, a fellow teacher writes: We are in shock and heartbroken. She was extremely dedicated to her students and an excellent teacher. She will be greatly missed.
Another writes to the Greenberg family: Please know that Ellen truly touched the lives of children she worked with daily.
Greenberg was buried on Friday in Harrisburg. In addition to her parents, she leaves behind her fiancée, Samuel Goldberg of Gladwyne.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, manayunk, homicide, stabbing, crime
- AG: 29 New Jersey bars swapped top-shelf liquor
- Very unsettled Thursday
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Faith-healing couple charged in son's death
- Names of 16 Okla. tornado victims released
- Video shows assault rifle shooting at strip club
- Skippack student may have 'voluntarily' vanished
- Philadelphia cop accused of ripping off drug dealers
- 1 dead, 2 injured in 'barbaric' London attack
- SEPTA police chief using Twitter to fight crime
- Woods: Garcia comment hurtful, time to move on
- Body of WWII hero returns home after 69 years
- Hats get women ejected from KoP Mall