Manayunk teacher death ruled 'suspicious'
MANAYUNK - January 30, 2011 (WPVI) -- Homicide investigators are on the case of what was first thought to be a suicide in Manayunk until the medical examiner ruled otherwise.
Investigators now say that 27-year-old Ellen Rae Greenberg was stabbed multiple times in the chest and torso, resulting in her death.
Still, police pointed out in a news release on Saturday, the case has not yet been officially ruled a homicide.
"Homicide investigators are considering the manner of death as suspicious at this time," read part of the statement from the police media relations unit.
Police were back out at the Venice Lofts of Flat Rock Road on Friday searching for information on her death.
She died Wednesday night during the height of the snowstorm.
Presently, police are not saying if they have any theories as to how Greenberg died. However, there may be clues provided by the numerous security cameras and a guard at the front door of the complex.
Meantime, residents of this secure building with 24 hour staff can't believe something like this happened in their building.
"I have a young son and a wife, too, so I can only imagine what her family is going through," said Tejinder Gill. "It's horrible."
Greenberg was one of the founding teachers of Juniata Park Academy on East Hunting Park where she taught first grade.
In a statement, the school district says, in part - Ellen Rae Greenberg made a significant positive impact in the life of students, colleagues and the entire school family. She will be greatly missed.
In an online memorial page, a fellow teacher writes: We are in shock and heartbroken. She was extremely dedicated to her students and an excellent teacher. She will be greatly missed.
Another writes to the Greenberg family: Please know that Ellen truly touched the lives of children she worked with daily.
Greenberg was buried on Friday in Harrisburg. In addition to her parents, she leaves behind her fiancée, Samuel Goldberg of Gladwyne.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, manayunk, homicide, stabbing, crime
- Photos: Maps of Monday's expected snow
- Snow likely Sunday into Monday 4 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike 10 min ago
- Break dancers spark controversy on SEPTA trains 41 min ago
- 3 injured in 2-alarm fire in Holmesburg 27 min ago
- Students evacuated in Camden H.S. gas leak 34 min ago
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL 1 min ago
- Missing plane: Piracy theory gains more credence
- Police investigate death of toddler at Del. daycare 42 min ago
- Teen father arrested for biting nose off infant
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Video: Pastor collapses, dies, after admitting...
- Snow likely Sunday into Monday
4 min ago
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike
10 min ago
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
1 min ago