Penalty phase resumes in Del. police killing trial
GEORGETOWN, Del. - February 16, 2011 (WPVI) -- The parents of a Maryland man convicted of killing a Georgetown police officer say their son had a violent and troubled childhood.
Tina Durham and Joseph Powell testified Wednesday in Georgetown in the penalty phase of the trial of their son Derrick Powell.
Powell faces the death penalty or life in prison for the 2009 murder of police officer Chad Spicer.
Powell's parents described a family environment that included their drug abuse, frequent arguments and physical violence. Both said Powell was the target of physical and verbal abuse when he was a child.
On Tuesday, prosecutors called two felons to testify as they argued for the death penalty for Powell.
The Cumberland, Md. man was convicted last week.
delaware, police officer killed, crime
- Teacher admits to sex with 4 students 14 min ago
- Turning Milder
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings 49 min ago
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's 14 min ago
- Cat hoarder at Grace Kelly home found guilty 21 min ago
- Person possibly struck by train in Center City 38 min ago
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding
- Car, SUV collide outside Trenton firehouse
- Elderly couple's life savings stolen in Media
- Purse snatcher at Willow Grove Mall caught on camera
- Accused Craigslist robber charged with murdering accomplice
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating Person revealed
- Security breach affected all cards, not...
14 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos