Police get high-tech training to catch criminals
PHILADELPHIA - February 18, 2011 (WPVI) -- The Philadelphia Police Department got to learn how to use equipment that'll soon put them one step ahead of other police departments across the country thanks to the FBI.
They trained on a system called DIVERT, short for Digital Image Video Response Team.
"Most detective divisions might have a couple computers, but nothing portable to go out into the field, which is what you really need to receive video of a crime scene," said Bastian Freund of the FBI.
At $8,000 a piece, each kit includes a laptop, high end software, and a digital camera. There are 10 kits in all.
"This is hard stuff, it's not easy. Production is hard - you may have an hour worth of video and it comes down to two minutes where your real money shot is, so it's important to have the training, have the workshops," said Lt. Ray Evers of the Philadelphia Police.
This collaboration between the police dept and the FBI came out of a tragedy - the killing of Officer Chuck Cassidy in 2007. He was gunned down after walking into a robbery in progress at a Dunkin Donuts.
"We literally flew the video recorder down to Quantico to work on it," said Freund.
It took several days to get that video back from Quantico. Now, with these new kits, detectives will be able to get images out to the public within hours.
"There's video cameras everywhere in the city and the more images we get out there, the better chances some ex-girlfriend, some college roommate is going to call in and say, 'Hey, I think that looks like so-and-so," Freund said.
That's exactly what happened in the Sabina O'Donnell case. She was murdered in June of last year while riding to her home in Kensington on her bicycle.
One day after police released the video of Sabina O'Donnell's alleged killer, he was identified, and later arrested.
Officials are hoping the new equipment will help them crack more cases.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, police, fbi, crime, shirleen allicot
- Water main break cancels Cheyney U. classes 10 min ago
- Frost Advisory Overnight 10 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in Crescentville shooting 46 min ago
- Tour bus catches fire in Galloway Twp. 47 min ago
- Stalkers have QVC host living in fear 50 min ago
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest 52 min ago
- Heist investigation leads to Roxborough apartment
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital
- No charges for 8 NJ wrestlers in lynching photo 32 min ago
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids
- WWII vet gets anonymous surprise in Bucks Co.
- Beau Biden to run for governor in Del.
- Frost Advisory Overnight
10 min ago
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest
52 min ago
- Stalkers have QVC host living in fear
50 min ago