DA: 3 Pa. officers justified in firing at car
COATESVILLE, Pa. (AP) - march 11, 2011 (WPVI) -- Chester County's district attorney says three police officers were justified when they shot and injured two men inside a car that accelerated at them during an early-morning traffic stop.
District Attorney Joseph Carroll says the shooting happened around 1:30 a.m. Friday in Coatesville, about 30 miles west of Philadelphia.
Authorities say the officers approached the vehicle, which was not running and had its lights off, and then spotted two occupants huddled down in the front seat. Carroll says the officers identified themselves and the car accelerated toward them, prompting the officers to fire.
One person in the car was treated and released for a leg wound. Another person in the car suffered wounds to the head and torso and is in critical but stable condition.
pennsylvania, coatesville, police chase, shooting, crime
- Death toll lowered in Okla. twister; 24 dead 15 min ago
- Partly sunny, warm and humid today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Oklahoma twister tracked path of 1999 tornado
- Delaware dumpster explosion leaves 1 injured 1 min ago
- Skippack student may have 'voluntarily' vanished
- Man convicted of murder in Pa. musician's slaying
- 15 motorcyclists arrested following NJ chase ID'd
- 2 teens arrested at Pennsbury H.S. prom
- SUV crashes when dog gets stuck in steering wheel
- NJ ex-priest arrested after working with kids
- Larry Holmes wins round in Pa. parking dispute
- Surveillance video released in food vendor murder
- Death toll lowered in Okla. twister; 24 dead
15 min ago