Man indicted in slaying of NJ softball player
MOUNT HOLLY, N.J. (AP) - March 3, 2011 (WPVI) -- A Burlington County grand jury has indicted a man on murder charges in the death last year of a former star softball player.
Prosecutors say the indictment was returned Thursday against 28-year-old Stephen Headley of Florence.
Authorities charged him with murder in September of 22-year-old Nicole Ayres, a former high school and college softball star from Deptford. Her body was found stabbed multiple times near an athletic field in rural Southampton Township, south of Trenton.
When Headley was charged, he was in a Trenton hospital after being hit by a pickup truck outside his mother's house. He has since been moved to the Burlington County Jail with bail set at $750,000, pending an arraignment in state Superior Court.
Authorities did not say if he has retained a lawyer.
new jersey, body found, burlington county, stabbing, homicide, nicole ayres, crime
- Mourning NJ doctor killed in murder-suicide 11 min ago
- Stormy to spectacular
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Get the new 6abc StormTracker app
- Paraplegic man castrated in SW Phila. attack 9 min ago
- Storms bring floods to the Jersey shore 23 min ago
- Video: Incredible footage of wrong-way bus crash
- Police: Girl used in theft at Phila. nail salon
- Tire dumping probe targets Wilmington shop
- Teacher charged again for indecent exposure
- Construction worker killed on way to job
- US: Unruly traveler had worked at State Department
- $325,000 Cash 5 ticket sold in Philadelphia
- Phillies activate Carlos Ruiz from disabled list
- Mourning NJ doctor killed in murder-suicide
11 min ago
- Lindenwold school bus crash caught on camera
4 min ago