Teen shot and killed in Spring Garden
Philadelphia - March 5, 2011 (WPVI) -- A teen's passion for life is being remembered as police search for his killer.
The 17-year-old boy was shot in the head and killed late Friday night, near his home in Philadelphia's Spring Garden neighborhood. His body was found at Seventh and Green Streets, not far from his home at the Spring Garden Apartments.
The victim's name has not been released.
The boy loved basketball, and spent time at the Helping Hands Rescue Mission in the neighborhood.
"You'd see him on the basketball courts all the time", said Adam Bruckner, a youth director at Helping Hands Rescue Mission. "He loved to play basketball. He was one of those kids you would not think this would or could happen to." He was tough as nails... he was fearless on the court.. he was a kid everybody liked, a popular kid."
The teen's killer has not been captured.
Police are hoping that nearby surveillance cameras can provide clues that lead them to the gunman.
Bruckner said the boy was playing basketball for his high school team.
"He was just pressing forward."
pennsylvania, spring garden, shooting, crime
- London theater partially collapses; 80 injured
- Record Weekend Warmth 28 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Steps you can take to reduce fraud risk 42 min ago
- Attempted child luring in Newtown, Bucks County
- Holiday tips, cards stolen in East Pikeland Twp.
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding 41 min ago
- Cat hoarder at Grace Kelly home found guilty
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Video captures Laundromat robbery
- Teacher admits to sex with 4 students
- Bring old clothes to new H&M for savings
- Record Weekend Warmth
28 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos