Former Del. sheriff faces criminal charges
DOVER, Del. - March 10, 2011 (WPVI) -- The former Kent County sheriff is facing criminal charges after a standoff with Dover police.
Police tried to serve a warrant to 58-year-old James Higdon at his home Wednesday for violating a protection from abuse order.
But Higdon refused to leave his home or allow police to enter. A four-hour standoff ensued after police learned there may have been weapons in the home.
Higdon threatened to shoot himself as well as police, who eventually forced their way into the home and took him into custody.
Authorities say Higdon, who lost re-election last year after being convicted of drunken driving, will be charged after a mental health evaluation with possession of a deadly weapon by a person prohibited, resisting arrest, and terroristic threatening.
delaware, kent county, guns, crime
- 2 dead after building explosion in New York City 5 min ago
- AccuWeather: Thunderstorms possible today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Delco 2nd grade teacher groped girls in class 23 min ago
- Skippack student hospitalized with meningitis infection 20 min ago
- Phila. cop charged with false imprisonment
- Photos: Pictures from East Harlem explosion 5 min ago
- Man in boxers attacks police station, cars
- NJ teen who sued parents returns home
- Pa. state senator charged with misuse of office 1 min ago
- Homes evacuated in Tacony for gas leak
- Co. carjacking suspect arrested after rush hour chase
- India asked to join hunt for missing plane
- Skippack student hospitalized with...
20 min ago