Former Del. sheriff faces criminal charges
DOVER, Del. - March 10, 2011 (WPVI) -- The former Kent County sheriff is facing criminal charges after a standoff with Dover police.
Police tried to serve a warrant to 58-year-old James Higdon at his home Wednesday for violating a protection from abuse order.
But Higdon refused to leave his home or allow police to enter. A four-hour standoff ensued after police learned there may have been weapons in the home.
Higdon threatened to shoot himself as well as police, who eventually forced their way into the home and took him into custody.
Authorities say Higdon, who lost re-election last year after being convicted of drunken driving, will be charged after a mental health evaluation with possession of a deadly weapon by a person prohibited, resisting arrest, and terroristic threatening.
delaware, kent county, guns, crime
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall
- Milder Monday 59 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90 54 min ago
- 1 wounded in daytime shooting in Trenton 8 min ago
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat
- Man, 22, dies after shooting in Chester
- Video: Annual Phila. Flower Show wraps up
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Milder Monday
59 min ago