Phila. Police shoot man during standoff
OLNEY - March 22, 2011 (WPVI) -- A 23-year-old is critical but stable after a standoff, which lasted more than 90 minutes.
Police say they were called to a home on the 5200 block of Arbor Street in Philadelphia's Olney section for a domestic disturbance shortly after midnight Tuesday morning.
SWAT teams responded following information that a man in the home had a weapon and was holding a woman hostage inside the residence.
Shots were fired at about 1:45 a.m., but police say they are still figuring out if the suspect was shooting at officers or if he was trying to shoot himself.
Police returned fire and the man was found inside the home, shot in the chest.
Medics rushed him to the hospital in critical but stable condition.
The woman involved in the incident was not hurt and has been talking with police throughout the overnight.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, olney, standoff, shooting, crime
- Snow today, heavy at times
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Photos: Pictures from the winter storm
- Photos: Winter storm forecast maps 33 min ago
- Video: Annie McCormick in Mobile 6 on I-76 58 min ago
- Video: David Henry on snow at Rittenhouse Sq.
- Video: John Rawlins on snow in E. Norriton
- Video: Nora Muchanic on snow in Trenton
- Video: Katherine Scott on snow in Delaware
- Gunman fires shots through window, teens wounded
- Obama urges world to act on Mandela legacy
- Arrest made in Beats headphone murder
- Annie McCormick in Mobile 6 on I-76
58 min ago