SWAT Team ends long standoff at southern NJ home
LOWER TOWNSHIP, N.J. - March 27, 2011 (WPVI) -- Members of a SWAT team stormed a southern New Jersey home early Sunday and arrested a machete-wielding man who had barricaded himself inside for several hours.
Bail was set at $100,000 for 34-year-old Marlon McBean, who faces aggravated assault and other charges. The Lower Township man was taken to a nearby hospital for a psychiatric evaluation.
Police initially went to McBean's home around 8:30 p.m. Saturday because he was burning leaves in his yard. He doused the flames, but allegedly soon started another fire.
He then scuffled with officers before retreating inside his home. He then returned with a 2-foot-long steel machete and made threats to police. He remained inside his home for about 11 hours until the SWAT team stormed in around 6:30 a.m.
Two officers sustained minor injuries.
standoff, new jersey, crime
- Apartments evacuated in Bucks Co. hazmat investigation 31 min ago
- Sunny and Cooler!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- SEPTA trolley collides with taxi in West Philadelphia 12 min ago
- Man gets pinned under van in Logan crash 56 min ago
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd. 48 min ago
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ