SWAT Team ends long standoff at southern NJ home
LOWER TOWNSHIP, N.J. - March 27, 2011 (WPVI) -- Members of a SWAT team stormed a southern New Jersey home early Sunday and arrested a machete-wielding man who had barricaded himself inside for several hours.
Bail was set at $100,000 for 34-year-old Marlon McBean, who faces aggravated assault and other charges. The Lower Township man was taken to a nearby hospital for a psychiatric evaluation.
Police initially went to McBean's home around 8:30 p.m. Saturday because he was burning leaves in his yard. He doused the flames, but allegedly soon started another fire.
He then scuffled with officers before retreating inside his home. He then returned with a 2-foot-long steel machete and made threats to police. He remained inside his home for about 11 hours until the SWAT team stormed in around 6:30 a.m.
Two officers sustained minor injuries.
standoff, new jersey, crime
- Would-be robber stabbed; suspect's mom talks
- Periods of rain today, getting cooler
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Funeral for Nelson Mandela to be held Dec. 15th
- Photos: Nelson Mandela: Through the years
- Video: Jim Gardner recalls visiting Mandela's cell
- Body found on side of road in Wilmington 30 min ago
- Center City rape victim speaks to Action News
- Reward offered after dogs found in trash bags 37 min ago
- Police raid alleged chop shop in North Philadelphia
- Feds accused of targeting minorities in stash house stings
- Surveillance video shows Christmas package theft
- Police: Teen stole Porsche part from Paul Walker crash