2 attacked on Swarthmore College campus
SWARTHMORE, Pa. - April 6, 2011 (WPVI) -- Police are searching for suspects in a beating on a Delaware County college campus.
Swarthmore College officials say a student and his friend were attacked on campus, and that the beating may have been fueled by homophobia. However, police say the assault may have been the result of teenagers seeking alcohol.
It happened early Sunday. A male student reported that he and a friend were being affectionate on a campus field when a group of at least five males and one female, described as high school students, approached them.
Swarthmore Borough Police Chief Brian Craig says the group asked the victims to buy them alcohol. When they refused the request, the victims were punched and knocked to the ground, then stomped and kicked by the attackers. They were later treated at the student health center for minor injuries and then taken to a local hospital for observation.
Dean of Students Liz Braun sent a letter to the college community detailing the attack, and urged the students to be careful and stay aware.
Chief Craig says the issue of homophobia was not raised in initial interviews with the victims. He says the investigation into the assault is continuing.
Information from the Associated Press was used in this report.
hate crime, beating, assault, delaware county, pennsylvania, crime
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Slightly Cooler Sunday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Skydiver gets tangled with landing plane
56 min ago
- Student meets bone marrow recipient for...
53 min ago