Puppies from Chesco illegal kennel up for adoption
WEST CHESTER, Pa. - April 22, 2011 (WPVI) -- Yorkshire terriers, poodles, and Shih Tzu are the kind of pups that'll normally cost you hundreds of dollars.
But, at the Chester County SPCA, you'll get them at a fraction of the cost.
"These dogs represent the tip of the iceberg when it comes to dogs that are unwanted, abused and need homes," said Rich Britton of the Chester County SPCA.
They are the designer dogs that were saved Monday from an illegal kennel in Malvern.
The owner is charged with animal cruelty, accused of keeping the pets in deplorable, overcrowded conditions as they were sold to random people on eBay.
After getting their shots and checkups, eight of the 54 rescued are now ready for a new home. They'll be available for adoption come Monday, but there are plenty of other animals available right now, at the Chester County SPCA.
In Chester County alone, officials say there are at least 500 rescues a year - many of these animals coming from similar abusive situations.
They say if it wasn't for the public, no one would ever know what was going on behind closed doors.
"We acted on a tip and really encourage the public when they see animal abuse...please let us know about it," Britton said.
Thanks to that tip, these adorable pooches will finally get a home they deserve.
And you can bet, it wont take long.
For more information about the dogs:
Facebook: Chester County SPCA
Phone: (610) 692-6113
pennsylvania, chester county, animal abuse, crime, shirleen allicot
- Suspects tie up 71-year-old in home invasion
- Bitter Blast Thursday
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Worker shocked by electrical cable in East Falls
- Bandit holds up TD Bank in Chestnut Hill
- Dump truck hits ATV pulling sled, boy killed
- American University campus lockdown lifted
- Woman charged in boyfriend's heroin death
- Shooting victim drives to Broad St. police station
- Narcotic officers raid Lacey High School
- NASA: Cooling pump on space station shuts down
- Fake deaf interpreter crashes Mandela memorial
- Video: Cover Story: Can Foles break jinx?