3 Philadelphia cops, 12 others charged in steroid bust
PHILADELPHIA - April 27, 2011 (WPVI) -- A Philadelphia police detective and two police officers are among the 15 charged in a federal indictment, accused of conspiring to distribute anabolic steroids.
Authorities from the DEA, the FBI, the Philadelphia Police Department, and the United States Postal Inspection Service say Keith Gidelson, a Philadelphia Police Detective, and fellow police officers Joseph McIntyre and George Sambuca were indicted Wednesday along with Gidelson's wife, Kirsten.
According to the indictment, Keith Gidelson was operating an anabolic steroid and human growth hormone (HGH) distribution organization in Philadelphia and throughout the United States. The indictment alleges that Gidelson would obtained monthly shipments of anabolic steroids and HGH from suppliers in Europe and China and then sell the steroids to his co-conspirators, who would then distribute the drugs on their own.
The indictment alleges that one of the suppliers shipped the steroids to California where defendant Robert Walters would re-package them for shipment to Gidelson. Another supplier shipped steroids to a mailbox that Gidelson has rented at a UPS store.
Gidelson and his wife, Kirsten, are also facing allegations that they stored and packaged steroids and HGH at their home in Northeast Philadelphia. The couple allegedly met with drug customers, including defendants Michael Barclay, Keith Ebner, Jeffrey Filoon, Christian Kowalko, Joel Levin, Luke Lors, Joseph McIntyre, George Sambuca, William Schiavo, and Vaidotas Verikas, at their home and at Philadelphia-area fitness clubs, to distribute anabolic steroids and HGH in various quantities.
Gidelson is also accused of distributing steroids to customers throughout the United States - people whom he met through online weightlifting chat rooms on websites.
If convicted, each defendant faces ten years in prison on each charge and a $250,000 fine.
The full list of defendants (followed by their hometown and age) are as follows:
- Keith Gidelson Philadelphia, PA 34
- Kirsten Gidelson Philadelphia, PA 36
- Robert James Walters Folsom, CA 50
- Jay Guiliano Philadelphia, PA 41
- Michael Supilowski Chicago, IL 49
- Michael Barclay Philadelphia, PA 51
- Keith Ebner Philadelphia, PA 44
- Jeffrey Filoon Philadelphia, PA 36
- Christian Kowalko Philadelphia, PA 38
- Joel Levin Bensalem, PA 48
- Luke Lors Huntingdon Valley, PA 31
- Joseph McIntyre Philadelphia, PA 36
- George Sambuca Philadelphia, PA 25
- William Schiavo Philadelphia, PA 29
- Vaidotas Verikas Wrightstown, PA 41
Speaking about the indictment on Wednesday, Ramsey said he knew this was coming for months now.
"It's another dark day for our department, but one that certainly does not reflect the good work that goes on every single day by the men and women of this department," Ramsey said.
"Unfortunately, we do have some that tarnish the badge and continue to do so," Ramsey continued. "We will very aggressively continue to go after them and get them out of our ranks."
The three officers arrested were suspended from the force with intent to fire within 30 days.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, steroids, illegal drugs, drugs, police, fbi, crime
- Police shoot man in Brewerytown 28 min ago
- Spotty, Drenching Downpours
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Chesco man accused of sex assault on 2 young boys 8 min ago
- I-5 bridge collapses into Washington river 33 min ago
- Woman convicted in fiance's wedding day death
- Boy Scouts approve plan to accept openly gay boys
- Armed robber steals $800 from Northeast Philadelphia bank
- 8 charged in $14M drug operation in SE Pa.
- Missing Skippack student found in North Carolina
- NJ: Caramel-colored rubbing alcohol sold as scotch
- Chase Utley out 2-4 weeks with oblique strain
- Obama to tour Jersey Shore with Gov. Christie
- Police shoot man in Brewerytown
28 min ago
- I-5 bridge collapses into Washington river
33 min ago