Suspect in Montco girl's killing to waive hearing
PHILADELPHIA - May 20, 2011 (WPVI) -- Action News has learned that the suspect in the rape and murder of a 9-year-old Montgomery County girl will waive his preliminary hearing when he next appears in court.James Troutman, 24, of Souderton, is scheduled to appear before a judge on Monday afternoon.
Action News has also learned that, because of safety concerns, Troutman's hearing will be done via video from the Montgomery County Prison.
Troutman is accused of killing Skyler Kauffman, who lived at the same apartment complex.
Lawyer Craig Penglase told the Associated Press on Thursday that plans to explore mental-health issues as he defends Troutman
He says Troutman may have the social disorder Asperger's syndrome, but will also be tested for mental illness.
He says Asperger's alone wouldn't prevent him from knowing right from wrong, the standard for an insanity defense in Pennsylvania.
Penglase previously won an insanity defense for a woman accused of trying to kill her newborn. She got probation.
Penglase also said that Troutman was "confused" and "sad" over his arrest in the girl's death.
pennsylvania, montgomery county, missing children, child luring, child death, kidnapping, homicide, crime
- Body found in home of Philadelphia attorney
- Clear, Still Breezy Tonight
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Delco girl still awaiting transplant 18-months later
- 1 dead in I-495 crash in Claymont, Delaware
- 7-year-old critically injured in SW Phila. house fire
- NE Phila. couple stabbed at home, son arrested
- Neighbor rescues woman in West Oak Lane fire
- Amber Alert for Pottsville teen canceled
- San Antonio flooding kills 2; hundreds rescued
- French soldier stabbed in throat outside Paris
- Knife-wielding man shot, killed in Oxford Circle
- Start to 1st summer after Sandy at NJ shore
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos