Suspect in Montco girl's killing to waive hearing
PHILADELPHIA - May 20, 2011 (WPVI) -- Action News has learned that the suspect in the rape and murder of a 9-year-old Montgomery County girl will waive his preliminary hearing when he next appears in court.James Troutman, 24, of Souderton, is scheduled to appear before a judge on Monday afternoon.
Action News has also learned that, because of safety concerns, Troutman's hearing will be done via video from the Montgomery County Prison.
Troutman is accused of killing Skyler Kauffman, who lived at the same apartment complex.
Lawyer Craig Penglase told the Associated Press on Thursday that plans to explore mental-health issues as he defends Troutman
He says Troutman may have the social disorder Asperger's syndrome, but will also be tested for mental illness.
He says Asperger's alone wouldn't prevent him from knowing right from wrong, the standard for an insanity defense in Pennsylvania.
Penglase previously won an insanity defense for a woman accused of trying to kill her newborn. She got probation.
Penglase also said that Troutman was "confused" and "sad" over his arrest in the girl's death.
pennsylvania, montgomery county, missing children, child luring, child death, kidnapping, homicide, crime
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Warmer Weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Student robbed at gunpoint inside Philly school
- Missing 2-year-old found, mom's ex-boyfriend arrested 1 min ago
- SEPTA spreads holiday cheer with toy drive
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish
- Fmr. Montco GOP chairman to stand trial for rape
- Pa. Turnpike reopens after multi-vehicle crash
- Dealer charged with selling Sandy damaged cars
- Bishop McDevitt HS student robbed at gunpoint
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ 59 min ago
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ
59 min ago