S. Phila pastor charged in inspection scam
CENTER CITY - May 20, 2011 (WPVI) -- Authorities in Philadelphia have arrested a South Philadelphia pastor and another man and charged them with bilking a Germantown man out of $10,000.
Police say Rev. Richard Cobb, 57, of Brookhaven, Pa., a pastor at St. Mark's Baptist Church in South Philadelphia, persuaded Brian K. Davis, 33, of Philadelphia to pose as a Licenses and Inspections (L & I) inspector in order to swindle a property owner in Germantown.
It happened in 2010.
Davis allegedly collected more than $10,000 from the owner for bogus violations at a property in the 5300 block of Wayne Avenue in Germantown.
Police say the property owner told them Cobb helped him make arrangements to pay Davis over the course of several months. Davis then allegedly gave Cobb a portion of the proceeds in cash and used some of the money to pay rent, police say.
The scam came to light after a real L & I inspector cited the property owner for an actual violation. The owner protested, telling authorities that he had already paid numerous fines to L & I. L & I records showed no payments had been received.
Police arrested Cobb on April 8, 2011. He was charged with theft, criminal solicitation and related offenses. Davis was arrested on April 27, 2011 and charged with theft, conspiracy, impersonating a public servant and related offenses.
Cobb and Davis have been released on bail. A preliminary hearing is set for June 8, 2011.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, scam, south philadelphia, germantown, crime
- Search for missing college student from Collegeville 5 min ago
- AccuWeather: Damp and Cooler
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Bear spotted in Bucks County
- 1 winning Powerball ticket sold in Florida
- Sketches released of Del. attempted abduction suspect
- Hofstra student killed by police during break-in
- Woman faces DUI charges after NE Phila. crash
- Water main break forces evacuation of Fishtown bar
- Bicyclist struck in Kensington DUI crash
- Video: Caught on tape: Huge tornado in Kansas
- White House insists Obama was not involved in IRS
- OTRC: Billboard Music Awards 2013 nominees list