Reputed Philly mob boss held without bail
PHILADELPHIA - May 26, 2011 (WPVI) -- The reputed boss of the Philadelphia mob has been ordered held without bail on charges he ran an illegal gambling and loan-sharking operation.
U.S. Magistrate Judge Timothy Rice denied bail for Joseph "Uncle Joe" Ligambi, noting Ligambi's criminal record and the seriousness of the charges. Rice also ordered another reputed mobster, Louis "Bent Finger Louie" Monacello, held without bail.
Ligambi and a dozen others are charged in an indictment unsealed this week. The alleged boss pleaded not guilty during an initial appearance Monday.
Ligambi was previously convicted in a gangland slaying but his conviction was later overturned and he was released in 1997.
Alleged underboss Joseph "Mousie" Massimino had been scheduled to appear but his bail hearing was postponed.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, organized crime, crime
- Photos: Weekend storm forecast maps
- Very cold today, Saturday storm
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- No charges against officers in teen Tasering 17 min ago
- Driver ID'd, charged in fatal crash in Lawrence, N.J. 41 min ago
- Berks Co. police chief faces child porn charges
- Interpreter at Mandela event: I was hallucinating
- DA: Woman stole $81K from Montco church
- Woman charged in boyfriend's heroin death
- DA: Charges coming in death of NYC student 24 min ago
- Narcotic officers raid Lacey High School
- Dump truck hits ATV pulling sled, boy killed
- Photos: 60 photos of Golden Globe nominees
- DA: Charges coming in death of NYC student
24 min ago
- Driver ID'd, charged in fatal crash in...
41 min ago