Police: $32,000 stolen in Chestnut Hill bank heist
CHESTNUT HILL - June 1, 2011 (WPVI) -- The FBI and Philadelphia police are searching for the suspects who made off with tens of thousands of dollars following the armed robbery of a Chestnut Hill bank.
The robbery happened shortly before 1:00 p.m. Tuesay at the Sovereign Bank branch on the 8600 block of Germantown Avenue.
Police say one suspect brandished a dark-colored shotgun with a pistol grip and threatened the employees; the other vaulted the teller counter and demanded money.
Police say the tellers complied, putting $32,000 in a bag. The suspects then took the sack of cash and fled the bank on foot southbound through the bank parking lot.
The men were last seen getting into a silver sedan with tinted windows, possibly a Pontiac Grand Am, headed south on Ardleigh Street from East Evergreen Avenue.
No injuries were reported.
The suspects are both described as being 25 to 30 years of age, 5'7" to 5'9" tall, with medium builds. Both were wearing black cloths or masks over the lower portions of their faces.
The suspect who brandished the shotgun was wearing a red Philadelphia Phillies baseball cap, a dark long-sleeve shirt, tan pants and white sneakers, and was carrying a large black duffle bag.
The suspect who vaulted the counter was wearing a black Philadelphia Phillies baseball cap, a dark long-sleeved shirt, blue jeans and black sneakers.
Police say the two suspects are considered armed and dangerous. Anyone with information is asked to call the FBI at 215-418-4000 or the Philadelphia Police Department.
There may be a reward for information leading to the capture of these subjects, and tipsters can remain anonymous.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, chestnut hill, robbery, crime
- 2nd suspect surrenders in Christmas package theft 23 min ago
- Wintry Weekend
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Temple University cuts 7 intercollegiate sports 39 min ago
- Man freed from under train on Broad Street Line 8 min ago
- Victim ID'd in deadly Wilmington hit-and-run
- Video released in pizza delivery driver shooting
- Mega Million jackpot reaches $297 Million
- Local men reflects on meeting with Mandela
- Center City rape victim speaks to Action News
- Elkins Park sisters treated at KoP by Make-a-Wish
- Area medical schools use 'Jeopardy' as learning tool
- Freebie Friday
- Temple University cuts 7 intercollegiate...
39 min ago