2 arrested in Facebook murder for hire plot
SOUTHWEST PHILADELPHIA - June 13, 2011 (WPVI) -- It's an Internet shocker that has two people behind bars and a father happy to be alive.
"I was in awe cause I thought we were better than that," the intended target of the alleged social media murder plot told Action News.
Police say London Eley, his ex-girlfriend and the mother of his 1-year-old daughter, allegedly solicited to have him murdered.
According to authorities, Eley posted this message on her Facebook wall: "I will pay somebody a stack to kill my baby father."
Investigators say Timothy Bynum took up the offer.
"Clearly, if he would have received the money, he would have carried this out," Philadelphia Police Lt. John Walker said.
In fact, Bynum allegedly responded to Eley on Facebook: "say no more," "what he look like?" "where he be at," "need dat stack 1st," and "ima mop that bull."
The intended target, whom we're not identifying, says he learned of the solicitation shortly after it was posted and went to police.
Detectives quickly moved in
"Served a warrant at Mr. Bynum's home, inside his home was a 22 caliber gun, fully loaded which had an obliterated serial number," Walker said.
"He had pictures on his Facebook with guns, so you never take that lightly," the father said.
Bynum now faces attempted murder and conspiracy charges.
Eley is charged with solicitation to commit murder.
They both face a long time behind bars thanks to social media.
Police say people need to be very careful before they post on to social media websites, especially if they are upset.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, southwest philadelphia, facebook, crime, chad pradelli
- Jersey shore eyes record-setting summer
- Rain Moves Out, Cool Winds Blow In
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Police investigate 2 robberies in Montgomery Co.
- Police seek suspect in Olney sex assault
- Faith-healing couple held without bail
- Police: Woman who hit teen was DUI, reading text
- Deadly crash on I-295 in Mercer County, N.J.
- Tractor trailer crash jams traffic in Chesco
- Sex offender arrested in Del. child porn bust
- Philadelphia man sentenced in shaken baby death
- 4 men sought in West Philadelphia armed robbery
- Wash. I-5 bridge collapse caused by oversize load