Feds raid flea market for fake cosmetics
SOLEBURY TWP., Pa. - June 21, 2011 (WPVI) -- Federal agents carried away boxes of counterfeit goods from a Bucks County flea market on Tuesday as part of an investigation into fake cosmetics.
Local police, along with customs enforcements agents from homeland security, raided half a dozen booths at Rice's Flea Market in Solebury Township.
Private Investigator Stuart Drobny, who works undercover for manufacturers, helped identify the bogus name-brand cosmetics that were seized.
"If it's not made up to specifications, there's a lot of potential for bad makeup and bad cologne," Drobny said.
One vendor, who would only say his name is Mike, had some of the name brand makeup he sells seized.
"We knew some of it might not be real, but the majority of what we bought was from legitimate sources," Mike said.
"It's potentially dangerous, and I know a couple stories of people who've gotten rashes from putting counterfeit perfumes on," said vendor Vicki Cychowski. She went on to say that it is not hard to spot the fake stuff.
"The colors of the boxes are different and, a lot of the time, you can tell the color of the liquid is the wrong color," she said.
"We tell the vendors they are not allowed to sell counterfeits and if they do they get in trouble," said Chuck Kane, the GM of Rice's Market. "Today is a perfect example of that."
Vendors who were identified on Tuesday were given warnings and, if they are caught again selling fake makeup, they'll be arrested.
pennsylvania, bucks county, counterfeiting, crime, nora muchanic
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting 17 min ago
- Finally, a nice weekend!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Oil slicks found in hunt for missing Malaysian jet
- 5 wounded and hospitalized in Trenton shooting
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Pedestrian ID'd in fatal Collingdale hit-and-run 18 min ago
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
17 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos