Feds raid flea market for fake cosmetics
SOLEBURY TWP., Pa. - June 21, 2011 (WPVI) -- Federal agents carried away boxes of counterfeit goods from a Bucks County flea market on Tuesday as part of an investigation into fake cosmetics.
Local police, along with customs enforcements agents from homeland security, raided half a dozen booths at Rice's Flea Market in Solebury Township.
Private Investigator Stuart Drobny, who works undercover for manufacturers, helped identify the bogus name-brand cosmetics that were seized.
"If it's not made up to specifications, there's a lot of potential for bad makeup and bad cologne," Drobny said.
One vendor, who would only say his name is Mike, had some of the name brand makeup he sells seized.
"We knew some of it might not be real, but the majority of what we bought was from legitimate sources," Mike said.
"It's potentially dangerous, and I know a couple stories of people who've gotten rashes from putting counterfeit perfumes on," said vendor Vicki Cychowski. She went on to say that it is not hard to spot the fake stuff.
"The colors of the boxes are different and, a lot of the time, you can tell the color of the liquid is the wrong color," she said.
"We tell the vendors they are not allowed to sell counterfeits and if they do they get in trouble," said Chuck Kane, the GM of Rice's Market. "Today is a perfect example of that."
Vendors who were identified on Tuesday were given warnings and, if they are caught again selling fake makeup, they'll be arrested.
pennsylvania, bucks county, counterfeiting, crime, nora muchanic
- Mug shot released of McNabb after DUI arrest 26 min ago
- Frost Advisory Overnight 38 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Brandywine Park flasher surrenders 43 min ago
- $105,000 taken in Tacony armored car heist
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital
- Reward offered in poisoning of puppy
- 1 dead in cement truck, car crash in Levittown
- Beau Biden to run for governor in Del.
- Mom surrenders after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids
- Popular chocolate maker shut down by city
- Teen urinates in Oregon drinking water supply
- Frost Advisory Overnight
38 min ago