1 inmate killed, 3 hurt, in Philly prison fight
HOLMESBURG - June 22, 2011 (WPVI) -- Homicide detectives were shaking down prison cells at a city correctional facility Wednesday as they investigated stabbings that left one inmate dead and three others injured in an area where narcotics and weapons had been found earlier in the day.
The altercation happened around 10 p.m. Tuesday at the city's Curran-Fromhold Correctional Facility, which has nearly 2,800 inmates.
While investigators weren't sure what caused the fight, it went down inside a building where narcotics had been found during a shakedown earlier in the day, according to Lorenzo North, president of Local 159, which represents the 500 corrections officers at the prison.
The movement of inmates at the prison was being restricted Wednesday, but the prison was not locked down, North said. The search earlier on Tuesday had found homemade weapons and drugs in the same section of the prison where the fight happened.
The 42-year-old inmate who died had been stabbed several times, according to police. A 24-year-old inmate was in critical condition Wednesday, while a 24-year-old inmate was in good condition and a 28-year-old was stable. No officers were hurt.
A prison spokesman had no immediate comment.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, stabbing, holmesburg, crime
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car 12 min ago
- AccuWeather: Tracking snow for Monday 6 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man critically injured in Willingboro hit, run
- Focus turns to pilots as hunt for jet widens
- Elderly woman crashes into Toms River law ofc.
- Berks County man stabbed to death in Bahamas 27 min ago
- Delaware Co. mother seeks help finding son's killer
- Minn. man pulls police officer from burning car
- Delaware man charged with 12th DUI
- Community relief for victims of Ewing Twp. explosion
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- AccuWeather: Tracking snow for Monday
6 min ago