Arrest warrant issued in Yeadon hit-and-run
YEADON, Pa. - June 23, 2011 (WPVI) -- An arrest warrant has now been issued for the driver suspected in a Delaware County hit-and-run that was caught on surveillance video.Investigators have been looking for 32-year-old Wilaisha Rankins of Upper Darby.
Police say she was behind the wheel of a car that slammed into a 7-Eleven clerk, knocking him through a storefront window.
On Wednesday, that silver 2007 Dodge Caliber was found at 54th and Vine in Philadelphia. Police say it had damage consistent with the accident.
Surveillance cameras captured the dramatic footage back on June 9th at around 10:30 p.m. The car, allegedly driven by Rankins, is shown crashing into a man and pushing him into the 7-Eleven store on Church Lane in Yeadon, Pa.
Moments later the passenger, now identified as Tylese Pitts, is seen stepping out of the car and leaving.
Ultimately, a male passenger and the driver also flee with no one rendering aid to the man who was run over.
Pitts has come forward and told authorities they were out drinking at a bar shortly before the car crash. It is not likely she will face charges.
Reporter Dan Cuellar asked her on Tuesday night why she didn't stop to help.
"I was in shock into the whole situation; I've never been through anything like this in my entire life. I was in total shock."
The victim, Gejea Ejeta, a native of Ethiopia, is still recovering from the accident with an injured leg.
Anyone with information is being asked to call Yeadon police.
pennsylvania, delaware county, hit and run, crime
- Man critically injured in Willingboro hit, run 46 min ago
- Tracking St. Patty's Day Snow
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Malaysian leader: plane's disappearance deliberate
- Elderly woman crashes into Toms River law ofc.
- 2 couples robbed at gunpoint in North Philly
- Del. trooper charged with stalking, harassment
- Community relief for victims of Ewing Twp. explosion
- Fire forces 11 people from their homes
- Driver crashes SUV into pole in East Falls, DUI suspected
- 3 people injured in Roosevelt Boulevard crash
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike
- Authorities: Chris Brown arrested on warrant
- Man critically injured in Willingboro hit,...
46 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos