Arrest warrant issued in Yeadon hit-and-run
YEADON, Pa. - June 23, 2011 (WPVI) -- An arrest warrant has now been issued for the driver suspected in a Delaware County hit-and-run that was caught on surveillance video.Investigators have been looking for 32-year-old Wilaisha Rankins of Upper Darby.
Police say she was behind the wheel of a car that slammed into a 7-Eleven clerk, knocking him through a storefront window.
On Wednesday, that silver 2007 Dodge Caliber was found at 54th and Vine in Philadelphia. Police say it had damage consistent with the accident.
Surveillance cameras captured the dramatic footage back on June 9th at around 10:30 p.m. The car, allegedly driven by Rankins, is shown crashing into a man and pushing him into the 7-Eleven store on Church Lane in Yeadon, Pa.
Moments later the passenger, now identified as Tylese Pitts, is seen stepping out of the car and leaving.
Ultimately, a male passenger and the driver also flee with no one rendering aid to the man who was run over.
Pitts has come forward and told authorities they were out drinking at a bar shortly before the car crash. It is not likely she will face charges.
Reporter Dan Cuellar asked her on Tuesday night why she didn't stop to help.
"I was in shock into the whole situation; I've never been through anything like this in my entire life. I was in total shock."
The victim, Gejea Ejeta, a native of Ethiopia, is still recovering from the accident with an injured leg.
Anyone with information is being asked to call Yeadon police.
pennsylvania, delaware county, hit and run, crime
- Oklahoma tornado was top-of-the-scale EF-5 1 min ago
- Partly sunny, warm and humid today
- WATCH: Action News Online 55 min ago
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Oklahoma Tornado: How to help and avoid scams
- Local search and rescue team helping in Oklahoma 38 min ago
- Rob Jennings to retire after 36 Years at 6abc 25 min ago
- Police: 2 caught red-handed in Radnor burlgary 11 min ago
- Box of ammo explodes, injuring man in Del. 29 min ago
- Couple charged in theft of $854K from township
- Prosecutor: Prison can't hold Savage's rage 27 min ago
- NJ ex-priest jailed after working with kids
- Skippack student may have 'voluntarily' vanished
- 2 teens arrested at Pennsbury H.S. prom
- Oklahoma tornado was top-of-the-scale EF-5
1 min ago