Suspect in Yeadon hit-and-run surrenders
YEADON, Pa. - June 24, 2011 (WPVI) -- The driver suspected in the Delaware County hit-and-run that was caught on surveillance video has turned herself in.
Wilaisha Rankins, 32, surrendered to Yeadon Police on Friday afternoon accompanied by another woman, who was not immediately identified.
When Action News asked Rankins why she drove away after the crash, that other woman said "she was afraid."
That woman also disputed earlier reports that Rankins is a nurse.
Police say Rankins was behind the wheel of a car that slammed into a 7-Eleven clerk, knocking him through a storefront window.
Surveillance cameras captured the dramatic footage back on June 9th at around 10:30 p.m. The car, allegedly driven by Rankins, is shown crashing into a man and pushing him into the 7-Eleven store on Church Lane in Yeadon, Pa.
Moments later the passenger, now identified as Tylese Pitts, is seen stepping out of the car and leaving.
Ultimately, a male passenger and the driver also flee with no one rendering aid to the man who was run over.
On Wednesday, that silver 2007 Dodge Caliber was found at 54th and Vine in Philadelphia. Police say it had damage consistent with the accident.
Pitts has come forward and told authorities they were out drinking at a bar shortly before the car crash. It is not likely she will face charges.
Reporter Dan Cuellar asked her on Tuesday night why she didn't stop to help.
"I was in shock into the whole situation; I've never been through anything like this in my entire life. I was in total shock."
The victim, Gejea Ejeta, a native of Ethiopia, is still recovering from the accident with an injured leg.
pennsylvania, delaware county, hit and run, caught on camera, crime
- Carolers sing to grant Pa. cancer patient's wish 5 min ago
- Record Warmth!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Hospital: Teen shot at Colorado high school dies
- 6 apartments destroyed in Wilmington fire 48 min ago
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in East Mt. Airy shooting 18 min ago
- Police search for missing Delco mother
- Woman arrested in fatal North Philly stabbing
- 4 charged with murder in NJ mall carjacking
- Penn State student dies in jump from garage
- NASA astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Ransomeware a growing cyber threat for thousands
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ
- Carolers sing to grant Pa. cancer patient's...
5 min ago