Suspect in Yeadon hit-and-run surrenders
YEADON, Pa. - June 24, 2011 (WPVI) -- The driver suspected in the Delaware County hit-and-run that was caught on surveillance video has turned herself in.
Wilaisha Rankins, 32, surrendered to Yeadon Police on Friday afternoon accompanied by another woman, who was not immediately identified.
When Action News asked Rankins why she drove away after the crash, that other woman said "she was afraid."
That woman also disputed earlier reports that Rankins is a nurse.
Police say Rankins was behind the wheel of a car that slammed into a 7-Eleven clerk, knocking him through a storefront window.
Surveillance cameras captured the dramatic footage back on June 9th at around 10:30 p.m. The car, allegedly driven by Rankins, is shown crashing into a man and pushing him into the 7-Eleven store on Church Lane in Yeadon, Pa.
Moments later the passenger, now identified as Tylese Pitts, is seen stepping out of the car and leaving.
Ultimately, a male passenger and the driver also flee with no one rendering aid to the man who was run over.
On Wednesday, that silver 2007 Dodge Caliber was found at 54th and Vine in Philadelphia. Police say it had damage consistent with the accident.
Pitts has come forward and told authorities they were out drinking at a bar shortly before the car crash. It is not likely she will face charges.
Reporter Dan Cuellar asked her on Tuesday night why she didn't stop to help.
"I was in shock into the whole situation; I've never been through anything like this in my entire life. I was in total shock."
The victim, Gejea Ejeta, a native of Ethiopia, is still recovering from the accident with an injured leg.
pennsylvania, delaware county, hit and run, caught on camera, crime
- Skydiver injured in Washington Twp. accident 18 min ago
- 70s Return This Week 3 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- $30K possibly stolen in Target armed robbery 14 min ago
- Person of interest ID'd in Collingdale hit-and-run 16 min ago
- 4 injured in Route 295 crash 55 min ago
- Camden teen reported missing
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Photos: Pictures from Easter Sunday services
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Flyers rally to beat Rangers 4-2, even series
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Photos: Jamie Apody welcomes Baby Chase!
- 70s Return This Week
3 min ago