Del. man charged with murder after standoff
GREENWOOD, Del. - June 27, 2011 (WPVI) -- A 66-year-old man has been charged with first-degree murder and other offenses after police say he shot and killed a woman, fired shots at a police officer and barricaded himself inside a Sussex County home for nearly 11 hours.
Ronald Williamson of Laurel surrendered late Sunday night after lengthy talks with state police crisis negotiators.
On Sunday morning, police say Williamson went to a home in Greenwood to confront a female acquaintance. That woman fled the home, and police say Williamson confronted another woman, 55-year-old Connie Breedling, outside. Williamson allegedly shot Breedling in the head, and then fired several shots at a Greenwood police officer.
Police say Williamson then went inside the home, where he shot a man in the hand and held an elderly woman hostage for several hours.
delaware, sussex county, homicide, crime
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Investigators chase 'every angle' in missing jet 45 min ago
- Police step up search in deadly hit-and-run 1 min ago
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Court won't hear dispute over 'boobies' bracelets
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash
- Are store credit cards worth the discount?
- Video: 85-year-old grandma outsmarts robber
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act