Father of Danieal Kelly on trial in girl's death
PHILADELPHIA - July 1, 2011 (WPVI) -- A Philadelphia man on trial in his disabled daughter's starvation death in her mother's home says the mother hid the child from him.
Friday's opening statements offer the first public comments on behalf of Daniel Kelly since the gruesome 2006 death of his daughter Danieal.
The case exposed holes in the city's child-welfare system. Nearly a dozen social workers and administrators have been convicted for not doing their jobs.
The mother, Andrea Kelly, is in prison for third-degree murder.
A defense lawyer reminded jurors the girl weighed 100 pounds when she lived with Daniel Kelly years earlier, and just 42 pounds when she died at age 14.
Prosecutors say his girlfriend cared for Danieal, and that the father abandoned her to Andrea Kelly's chaotic home after they broke up.
pennsylvania, philadelphia, child abuse, danieal kelly, crime
- Video captures Laundromat robbery 4 min ago
- Turning Milder
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Cat hoarder at Grace Kelly home found guilty
- Teacher admits to sex with 4 students
- On video: Armed robber fails after KFC workers flee 28 min ago
- Holiday tips, cards stolen in East Pikeland Twp. 40 min ago
- Woman injured in incident on train tracks in Center City 36 min ago
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding
- Purse snatcher at Willow Grove Mall caught on camera
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating Person revealed
- Woman injured in incident on train tracks...
36 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos