Police: Gun that led to Pa. hotel standoff was toy
SHIPPENSBURG, Pa. (AP) - July 3, 2011 (WPVI) -- Police say a standoff at a central Pennsylvania hotel after a report of a man with a machine gun has ended peacefully, and the gun turned out to be a toy - but the man turned out to be wanted in another state.
State police spokesman Trooper Thomas Pinkerton says a guest reported seeing the weapon at the Best Western Hotel in Shippensburg Township in Cumberland County at 9:30 a.m. Sunday. Police evacuated a nearby church and told other guests to remain in their rooms.
After the man surrendered at 1:45 p.m., the gun was found to be a toy replica of a Thompson machine gun.
But police said the man was arrested after he was found to be wanted on an assault charge in Maryland.
pennsylvania, standoff, crime
- Plane's landing gear collapses at Phila. Airport
- After a Cold Night, Temps Rebound
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Police investigate death of toddler at Del. daycare
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Police: Coatesville man died before fire began
- NJ charges 4 with false Sandy aid applications
- Missing plane sent signals to satellite for hours
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- 8th body recovered after NYC explosion
- Philadelphia Zoo welcomes 2 new tiger cubs