Police: Gun that led to Pa. hotel standoff was toy
SHIPPENSBURG, Pa. (AP) - July 3, 2011 (WPVI) -- Police say a standoff at a central Pennsylvania hotel after a report of a man with a machine gun has ended peacefully, and the gun turned out to be a toy - but the man turned out to be wanted in another state.
State police spokesman Trooper Thomas Pinkerton says a guest reported seeing the weapon at the Best Western Hotel in Shippensburg Township in Cumberland County at 9:30 a.m. Sunday. Police evacuated a nearby church and told other guests to remain in their rooms.
After the man surrendered at 1:45 p.m., the gun was found to be a toy replica of a Thompson machine gun.
But police said the man was arrested after he was found to be wanted on an assault charge in Maryland.
pennsylvania, standoff, crime
- Video: Chris Sowers with storm update
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Up to 50 vehicles in deadly PA Turnpike crash 13 min ago
- Video: Widener U. students help stuck drivers 15 min ago
- Photos: Images of Sunday's winter storm
- Photos: Snow Ball 2013: Eagles vs. Lions 53 min ago
- Photos: Winter storm forecast maps 18 min ago
- 6abc.com Flight Tracker
- Check local traffic on 6abc.com!
- Man dressed as Santa struck, killed on I-95
- Police: Son of PHA employee charged with DUI
- Body found in Logan tire fire
- Widener U. students help stuck drivers
15 min ago