Reward offered in cold murder case
PHILADELPHIA - July 23, 2011 (WPVI) -- A man who had just finished working his concession stand at a Phillies game was murdered because he wouldn't give up $20.
Lamont Wallace died the night of Wednesday, March 30th.
The 21-year-old had worked at a Phillies/Pirates exhibition game earlier in the evening. On his way home, he stopped to get Chinese food near Broad and Girard streets. While inside, police say he was approached by two men who asked him for $20 and Wallace refused. While walking home in the 800 block of Marvine Street, he noticed he was being followed. He called a friend on his cell phone and that friend actually heard Wallace being gunned down.
"The friend actually hears the shots on the phone. That's the last thing the friend hears," said John Apledorn of the Citizens Crime Commission.
Wallace was just a few feet away from his home in the Spring Garden section of Philadelphia when he was murdered. Nina Wallace said her cousin is dearly missed.
"All the kids miss him. He played with all the kids. He didn't have any kids of his own, but he loved his niece and all of his little cousins," Nina said. "That's what I miss the most - his sense of humor."
The family has put up a $5,000 reward. If you have any information, call the Citizens Crime Commission at 215-546-TIPS.
crimefighters, philadelphia, pennsylvania, homicide, robbery, shooting, crime, rick williams
- Would-be robber stabbed; suspect's mom talks 29 min ago
- Periods of rain today, getting cooler
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Funeral for Nelson Mandela to be held Dec. 15th
- Photos: Nelson Mandela: Through the years
- Video: Jim Gardner recalls visiting Mandela's cell
- Body found on side of road in Wilmington
- Center City rape victim speaks to Action News
- Reward offered after dogs found in trash bags
- Police raid alleged chop shop in North Philadelphia
- Feds accused of targeting minorities in stash house stings
- Surveillance video shows Christmas package theft
- Police: Teen stole Porsche part from Paul Walker crash
- Would-be robber stabbed; suspect's mom talks
29 min ago