Assault suspect nabbed after S. Jersey police standoff
GLOUCESTER TWP., NEW JERSEY - August 24, 2011 (WPVI) -- A standoff at a South Jersey home ended early Wednesday morning when police arrested a man suspected of assaulting a woman.
It all started when police received a call from Kennedy Hospital, Stratford Division, reporting that that a 44-year-old female was in their emergency room claiming to have been assaulted at a residence in the unit block of Poplar Street in the Sicklerville Section of Gloucester Township.
The victim said she was struck several times during the course of the assault. She said the assailant also threaned to kill her while armed with a handgun. The woman also told police that the man had a pipe bomb and a hand grenade inside the home where the assault took place.
When officers arrived at the home at about 2:30 a.m., the man ran into a house. Officers made contact with him via telephone but the man, identified as 44-year-old Joseph Marsh, refused to comply with officers requests to exit the residence.
SWAT officers and negotiation teams were brought in to assist officers in serving the arrest warrant.
After approximately one hour of negotiations, Marsh exited the residence. When approached by officers he began to resist, but was subdued with the help of a police K-9 unit.
The Camden County Sheriff's Department Bomb Disposal Unit responded to the scene due to the possible presence of explosives at the home.
Also arrested was 21-year-old James Good of Raritan Avenue in Atco, NJ. Police say Atco attempted to flee out of the rear of the house but was taken into custody. He was found to be in possession of what is described as "a destructive device" and a large capacity magazine. He is charged with Possession of a Destructive Device and Possession of a High Capacity Magazine.
Joseph Marsh is charged with Terroristic Threats, Aggravated Assault (2 Counts), Possession of a Weapon for an Unlawful Purpose, Resisting Arrest. His bail is set at $135,000.00 full cash bail. Additional charges are pending.
new jersey, standoff, camden county, crime
- Would-be robber stabbed; suspect's mom talks
- Periods of rain today, getting cooler
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Funeral for Nelson Mandela to be held Dec. 15th
- Photos: Nelson Mandela: Through the years
- Video: Jim Gardner recalls visiting Mandela's cell
- Body found on side of road in Wilmington 41 min ago
- Center City rape victim speaks to Action News
- Reward offered after dogs found in trash bags 48 min ago
- Police raid alleged chop shop in North Philadelphia
- Feds accused of targeting minorities in stash house stings
- Surveillance video shows Christmas package theft
- Police: Teen stole Porsche part from Paul Walker crash