Crimefighters: Who killed Gary McClain?
PHILADELPHIA - September 24, 2011 (WPVI) -- 27-year-old Gary McClain seemed to have a lot going for him. He assisted with special needs children at a local school. He was attending college, majoring in criminal justice, and he loved to travel.
But his life was cut short Tuesday, July 19th around 9:00 p.m.
He was one of three people shot in the 1900 block of 32nd Street in Strawberry Mansion.
His body lay lifeless on the porch of a home there.
"A lot of people were out there, the block was crowded, everybody's out there. Someone said someone walked up and just opened fire," Gary's mother Donna Nelson said.
No one seems to know why the gunman opened fire.
Two victims survived, Gary McClain died, leaving behind two daughters, ages 6 and 7.
"He will never see them marry; they aren't able to talk to their father," Donnna said.
A $5,000 reward is being offered. If you know anything, the family is asking you to call the tip line at 215-546-TIPS.
"I'm just begging, please. It could have been your brother, your son, your father. When that gunman opened fire, a bullet could have ricocheted and hit some of your loved ones, as well," Donna said.
Remember, you don't have to give your name, just your information.
"This is my son today, but it could be yours tomorrow," Donna said.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, strawberry mansion, shooting, crime
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids
- Freeze Warning overnight
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Delco man missing after leaving medical facility
- Puppy poisoned in Mantua, New Jersey
- Lehigh University suspends frat in vandalism case
- All-clear given after Liberty H.S. lockdown
- Ferry sinks off South Korea; hundreds still missing
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead
- Wawa celebrates 50th birthday with big gifts
- Photos: Wawa celebrates 50 years
- Voorhees police need help identifying this man