Crimefighters: Who killed Gary McClain?
PHILADELPHIA - September 24, 2011 (WPVI) -- 27-year-old Gary McClain seemed to have a lot going for him. He assisted with special needs children at a local school. He was attending college, majoring in criminal justice, and he loved to travel.
But his life was cut short Tuesday, July 19th around 9:00 p.m.
He was one of three people shot in the 1900 block of 32nd Street in Strawberry Mansion.
His body lay lifeless on the porch of a home there.
"A lot of people were out there, the block was crowded, everybody's out there. Someone said someone walked up and just opened fire," Gary's mother Donna Nelson said.
No one seems to know why the gunman opened fire.
Two victims survived, Gary McClain died, leaving behind two daughters, ages 6 and 7.
"He will never see them marry; they aren't able to talk to their father," Donnna said.
A $5,000 reward is being offered. If you know anything, the family is asking you to call the tip line at 215-546-TIPS.
"I'm just begging, please. It could have been your brother, your son, your father. When that gunman opened fire, a bullet could have ricocheted and hit some of your loved ones, as well," Donna said.
Remember, you don't have to give your name, just your information.
"This is my son today, but it could be yours tomorrow," Donna said.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, strawberry mansion, shooting, crime
- Suspects tie up 71-year-old in home invasion
- Bitter Blast Thursday 58 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Worker shocked by electrical cable in East Falls
- Bandit holds up TD Bank in Chestnut Hill
- Dump truck hits ATV pulling sled, boy killed
- American University campus lockdown lifted
- Woman charged in boyfriend's heroin death
- Shooting victim drives to Broad St. police station
- Narcotic officers raid Lacey High School
- NASA: Cooling pump on space station shuts down
- Fake deaf interpreter crashes Mandela memorial
- Video: Cover Story: Can Foles break jinx?