Police: Deli shooting may be linked to triple homicide
OVERBROOK - September 27, 2011 (WPVI) -- The 65th Street Deli Food Market in Overbrook closed its doors Tuesday night and police cleared the scene hours after they say two gunmen rushed in, tried to rob the owner, and shot him in the back of the head.Investigators say right before lunchtime, the men pretended they wanted a sandwich, but they were really looking for cash. They didn't even give the 25-year-old victim time to turn around before he was shot. Neighbors told Action News he's been a part of this community for a few years now. "Very nice, if I was short [of money], my children were short, he would always lets us go, we are just going to keep him in our prayers," one neighbor said. Witnesses say a getaway driver was waiting for the two men. One robber fumbled out of the business and dropped his gun. Now, police are trying to figure out if the violent crime could have been committed by the same men who walked into Lorena's Grocery on September 6th and killed three members of the family that owned the store. Lorena's is also in West Philadelphia, two and a half miles away from 65th Street Deli which is located on the 6500 block of Lebanon Avenue "We have a store owner, who obviously has a deli, which is one of the similarities and we have two offenders, one being taller, one being shorter, both being black which is the other similarity, fleeing on foot," Philadelphia Police Lieutenant John Walker said. With the violence at the two corner stores this month, residents tell Action News they think twice before entering one. Meanwhile, the victim remains in critical condition at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania.
pennsylvania, philadelphia, overbrook, robbery, shooting, crime
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse
- Record Weekend Warmth
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Steps you can take to reduce fraud risk
- 1 dead after car plunges into lake in Vineland
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet?
- Philadelphia Police search for missing 2-year-old boy
- Attempted child luring in Newtown, Bucks County
- Holiday tips, cards stolen in East Pikeland Twp.
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Bring old clothes to new H&M for savings
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos