Man arrested at Phila. Airport with hash lollipops
PHILADELPHIA - October 5, 2011 (WPVI) -- A man was arrested at Philadelphia International Airport on Monday after returning from the Netherlands with hashish cakes and lollipops.
Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officers at the airport turned Glenn Factor, 40, over to the Tinicum Township police after the arrest.
Factor will be prosecuted locally in Delaware County on narcotics possession charges.
The CBP said Factor arrived at Philadelphia International Airport about 1:30 p.m. and was referred him to a secondary inspection.
During questioning, the CBP said Factor admitted to possessing hashish, hashish cakes and marijuana from Amsterdam. During the baggage exam, CBP officers discovered three hashish cakes and 10 hashish lollipops, along with personal use amounts of hashish and marijuana.
The CBP said recreational cannabis use remains legal and is regulated in the Netherlands, but illicit narcotics remain illegal in the United States.
Amsterdam is also home to the annual Cannabis Cup, a period where CBP officers see a slight increase in narcotics and drug paraphernalia possession by returning U.S. citizens.
"It continues to amaze me that travelers risk criminal prosecution in attempts to smuggle narcotics home from Amsterdam and other international destinations with known access to illicit narcotics," said Allan Martocci, CBP Port Director for the Area Port of Philadelphia in a statement.
"All international travelers are susceptible to Customs and Border Protection inspection. Travelers returning from the Netherlands should take a few minutes to discard their illicit narcotics before boarding their flight home."
Travelers are encouraged visit CBP's Travel website at http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/ to learn rules governing travel to and from the U.S.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, drugs, marijuana, netherlands, philadelphia international airport, crime
- China: Vietnam detects signals from missing plane 39 min ago
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco 2 min ago
- ID theft warrant leads to pot bust in Hamilton Twp.
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Gun falls out of sock, kills thrift store worker
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos