Inmate charged in beating of child porn convict
SCRANTON, Pa. - October 13, 2011 (WPVI) -- An inmate serving a life sentence for murder has been ordered to stand trial in the near-fatal stomping attack on a fellow prisoner.
The Times-Tribune of Scranton reports Michael Simonson was bound over for trial on attempted homicide and related charges in the August 2010 attack on Nicholas Pinto.
Authorities say Simonson attacked Pinto, stomping on his head at least a dozen times because of his hatred of inmates being held on child pornography charges.
Simonson is in Lackawanna County Prison for an unrelated killing. He briefly escaped from the prison late last month but was captured after a pursuit through downtown Scranton.
Pinto was sentenced to 15 years in prison on federal child pornography charges in August. He's filed a civil suit against the county over the assault.
Information from: The Times-Tribune, http://thetimes-tribune.com/
pennsylvania, beating, crime
- 10-year-old Wilmington boy reported missing
- A Nice Stretch
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Get the new 6abc StormTracker app
- Traffic stop turns violent, police shoot suspect
- Friends mourn NJ doctor killed in murder-suicide 29 min ago
- Collapse committee to hold first meeting today 7 min ago
- Maple syrup used to vandalize Pottstown church
- Award-winning journalist Michael Hastings dies
- Paraplegic man castrated in SW Phila. attack
- Car carrier crashes into bridge in Whitemarsh Twp.
- Police: Girl used in theft at Phila. nail salon
- Death investigation leads police to home of Patriots TE 2 min ago
- James, Heat push NBA Finals to Game 7
- Special investigative committee building...
8 min ago