Family: Daughter died under care of Weston
WEST PHILADELPHIA - October 19, 2011 (WPVI) -- A West Philadelphia woman is claiming her daughter died while under Linda Weston's care three years ago.
Mary Lee of West Philadelphia says she didn't even know her daughter, Maxine, was living in Virginia with alleged Tacony dungeon ringleader Linda Weston until investigators in Norfolk notified her of her daughter's death.
Investigators in Virginia say there were no signs of foul play and Maxine's cause of death was ruled as complications from bacterial meningitis.
But the landlord of the home in Norfolk says Weston was in a big hurry to leave after Maxine's death.
"She had moved, she had left with all her belongings still in the house," the landlord said.
Weston had been telling people in Virginia that she was caring for three disabled women including Maxine Lee.
But Mary Benson, Maxine's close friend from years ago says Maxine was not disabled.
She can only wonder about the events leading up to her death.
"She was a quiet person, she was a subtle person, but she was very easy to be manipulated, very easy, because it was like she was looking for something that wasn't there," Benson said.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, human trafficking, tacony, kidnapping, florida, missing children, missing person, crime, walter perez
- Target confirms breach; up to 40M affected 18 min ago
- Turning Milder 59 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Man dies in fast-moving blaze in New Castle Co. 39 min ago
- Police search for suspects in religious store robbery
- Jewelry thieves target Montgomery Co. open houses
- Elderly couple's life savings stolen in Media
- Purse snatcher at Willow Grove Mall caught on camera
- Police: Man shoots self on SEPTA bus
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila.
- Upper Darby's Chitwood reflects on career
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating Person revealed
- Target confirms breach; up to 40M affected
18 min ago
- Man dies in fast-moving blaze in New Castle...
39 min ago
- Family searches for missing medical student
57 min ago
- Grinch slashes holiday decorations
45 min ago