Police warn of Cherry Hill car break-ins
CHERRY HILL, N.J. - October 26, 2011 (WPVI) -- There have been almost 70 car break-ins in the last month in Cherry. That is nearly double the norm.
Police have retrieved some of the stolen goods and are trying to get the word out about this growing crime.
iPods, laptops, cameras and other items are among the goods stolen in recent weeks from unlocked cars.
Cherry Hill police say the thieves are targeting hot spots including the Marketplace along route 70 and the Cherry Hill Mall.
Police suspect the bandits are hooked on drugs looking for quick cash.
Lt. William Kushina says heroin is a growing problem in the suburbs.
He warns thought that big box retailers and malls aren't the only targets.
"They're going through developments at night on foot, walking up to each car, trying the door handle and if it's unlocked they go in and take the change and whatever else is in there, the iPod, the camera, the laptop, jewelry, anything people may leave in there," Kushina said.
Investigators have been working with merchants to stop the rash of break-ins and increasing patrols.
An undercover operation at the Marketplace led to the arrest of Darryl Milton three weeks ago. He was roaming the lot in the middle of the day.
"We'll put a bait car out there and put some valuable stuff left in the car unlocked and a couple of times the bad guys have come along and taken the stuff that was in it and were subsequently arrested," Kushina said.
Kushina expects the break-ins to increasingly continue with the upcoming holiday shopping season and people need to lock their doors and remove valuables.
If they must be in the car, lock them in the trunk.
"If it's not there, they're not going to take it," Kushina said.
new jersey, cherry hill, camden county, theft, crime, chad pradelli
- Nelson Mandela dies at age 95
- Wet to Wintry
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Photos: Nelson Mandela: Through the years
- Police raid alleged chop shop in North Philadelphia 52 min ago
- Restaurant owner slashes robber with sushi knife
- Feds accused of targeting minorities in stash house stings
- Center City rape victims speaks to Action News
- Surveillance: Christmas packages stolen from home
- Christmas decoration theft caught on camera
- Fmr. Marine's murder suspect held on $2M bail
- Photos: 21 suspects ID'd in Collingdale drug sweep
- Arrest in theft of Porsche part from Walker crash
- Jim Gardner recalls visiting Mandela's cell
51 min ago