Registered sex offender charged with rape of 14-year-old girl
NEWARK, Del. - October 27, 2011 (WPVI) -- A registered sex offender has been charged with the rape of a 14-year-old.
On August 23rd, police responded to a report of a 14-year-old female who had been in a sexual relationship with 31-year-old David Stover of Newark.
The investigation revealed that on five different occasions the male subject, who is a registered sex offender, had engaged in sexual activity with the victim.
Over the past several months, detectives have been gathering evidence and recently a warrant had been issued for Stover's arrest.
On Wednesday, police received information that Stover had made arrangements to meet with the victim. Detectives and patrol officers quickly responded to the area and set up a perimeter as well as surveillance, in an attempt to apprehend the suspect.
A short time later, Stover's vehicle was seen approaching the area.
Moments later, a team of officers converged on the vehicle and attempted to make contact with the subject. After refusing to listen to repeated commands that were being given by the officers for him to exit his vehicle, the suspect was forcibly removed from the car.
During that time, Stover sustained a laceration above his right eye. The suspect was taken to Christiana Hospital where he was treated for his injury and released.
After being released from the hospital, Stover was transported to police headquarters.
Stover was charged with 13 counts of rape in the second degree and one count of a registered sex offender having unlawful contact with a child.
He was arraigned and committed to the Howard Young Correctional Institute after failing to post $350,000 cash bail and ordered to have no contact with the victim.
delaware, new castle county, newark, sex offenders, rape, crime
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse
- Temps Soar 13 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 2 men sought in Deptford Twp. hotel robbery 1 min ago
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Steps you can take to reduce fraud risk
- 1 dead after car plunges into lake in Vineland 21 min ago
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet?
- Philadelphia Police search for missing 2-year-old boy
- Attempted child luring in Newtown, Bucks County
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Bring old clothes to new H&M for savings
- Temps Soar
13 min ago