Police: Pa. man grabbed, choked trick-or-treater
ARENDTSVILLE, Pa. - November 2, 2011 (WPVI) -- A central Pennsylvania man is jailed on charges he assaulted an 8-year-old girl while she was out trick-or-treating with her mother.
Investigators say 24-year-old Shawn Funt grabbed the girl as she walked behind her mother Monday night in Arendtsville, Adams County.
State police in Gettysburg tell WHTM-TV that Funt dragged the girl to a nearby yard where he choked her.
The victim told police Funt told her to be quiet, but she screamed anyway.
Investigators say the girl's mother heard her daughter's screams and went to her aid.
Trooper Michele Davis says children should always make noise in a situation like this.
"Kids know when something is wrong, they have a sense just like adults do," she said. "I always encourage parents of children to tell them - if somebody tries to confront you, scream or run away."
Troopers say Funt fled on foot but was soon arrested on charges including simple assault.
The WHTM report says Funt was on probation at the time of the alleged attack. He is being held on $50,000 bail.
His criminal record includes burglary and DUI charges.
It was not clear if Funt had an attorney.
Information from: WHTM-TV, http://www.whtm.com
pennsylvania, halloween, child abuse, assault, crime
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL 5 min ago
- Milder this afternoon, snow possible Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Search for missing jet expands toward Indian Ocean
- Drunk driving suspected in Center City crash
- Fire damages Flap Jacks restaurant on City Avenue
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- Police investigate death of toddler at Del. daycare
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Photos: Pictures of suspects in Logan murder
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- 8th body recovered after NYC explosion
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
5 min ago