Police: Baby suffers broken bones at hands of mother
READING, Pa. - November 3, 2011 (WPVI) -- Police in Berks County have arrested a woman who they say admitted to brutally injuring her infant son on several occasions.
On October 25, a 21-month-old child was admitted to Reading Hospital with a broken arm. The medical staff deemed the infant's injury as suspicious, prompting them to contact Youth Services.
Berks County Children and Youth Services then contacted Berks County Detectives to inform them of the abuse investigation, and as a result, police started a criminal investigation.
The criminal investigation revealed that the child was initially diagnosed with a broken arm. Subsequently, a physician from Reading Hospital ordered a full body scan of the child, revealing several healing and/or healed fractures. These fractures included a skull, left clavicle, three ribs, one metacarpal, and multiple breaks in the leg. It was determined that these fractures occurred over the past six months.
On October 28, detectives interviewed the child's mother, Kiara Mayne Estright of the 600 block of North 10th Street in Reading. During the interview, Estright admitted to causing the injuries to her son.
The following was provided by police regarding Estright's admissions concerning specific injuries:
1. Broken Ribs: One day, she grabbed him too hard causing them to break.
2. Broken Leg: She was mad because he was not walking right. She picked him up and slammed him down causing the leg to break.
3. Skull Fracture: She threw her son onto the bed. He bounced and struck his head against the headboard.
On Monday October 31, a warrant was issued for Estright's arrest and she surrendered to police the next day. She was charged with Aggravated Assault, Endangering Welfare of Children, Simple Assault, and Recklessly Endangering Another Person. Bail was set at one million dollars and she was committed to Berks County Prison.
Her infant son is currently in the safe care of foster parents.
child abuse, assault, reading, berks county, pennsylvania, crime
- 2 dead after truck and car collide in Mercer County 29 min ago
- Very cold today, Saturday storm 23 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Suspicious package found outside Planet Fitness in Olney 3 min ago
- Suspects tie up 71-year-old in home invasion
- Worker shocked by electrical cable in East Falls
- Bandit holds up TD Bank in Chestnut Hill
- Dump truck hits ATV pulling sled, boy killed
- American University campus lockdown lifted
- Fake deaf interpreter crashes Mandela memorial
- Woman charged in boyfriend's heroin death
- Narcotic officers raid Lacey High School
- Video: Cover Story: Can Foles break jinx?
- 2 dead after truck and car collide in...
29 min ago