2nd rail-thin pit bull discovered in Delco
CHESTER, Pa. - November 7, 2011 (WPVI) -- The SPCA is reporting that another rail-thin pit bull was discovered rummaging through trash in Delaware County.
The stray animal was found along the 1400 block of Kerlin Street in Chester.
Nicknamed "Georgette," the dog was found in the same poor condition as "Curious George," a malnourished pooch dropped off at the SPCA's Media, Pa. location last week.
Officials are unsure if the most recent incident is a case of abuse or if Georgette is simply a stray.
Meanwhile, the SPCA says that the condition of Curious George has greatly improved.
Representatives reported that the initial condition of the dog was the "worst act of cruelty and deprivation we've seen."The abused animal was found staggering along the 1600 block of Naamen's Creek Road near Boothwyn.
Authorities say the dog, which should have been 60-70 pounds, weighed only 35 pounds.
After a full week of care, Curious George now weighs 44.6 pounds and has regained his appetite.
While his condition continues to improve, investigators are still searching for the dog's owners.
SPCA officials say that it's clear that Curious George has been passed around from person to person.
Witnesses have reportedly come forward, but authorities are still collecting information before an arrest can be made.
Veterinarians with the SPCA are continuing to keep a close eye on both dogs.
For anyone interested in donating to the care of these animals, donations can be made at http://delcospca.org/donations/
pennsylvania, delaware county, chester, animal abuse, crime
- More Snow on the Way
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Photos: Winter storm forecast maps
- Arrest made in Beats headphone murder
- 2 arrested for violent Center City attack
- Thief steals $17K from Philadelphia charter school
- 2 PSU students charged with ethnic intimidation
- Teen shot and killed in Wilmington
- 2K get meningitis B vaccinations at Princeton
- US Airways, American merger complete
- Rachael Ray's cookbook competition
- Video: Woman finds, returns envelope full of cash