Man critical after attempted robbery in Society Hill
SOCIETY HILL - November 8, 2011 (WPVI) -- The Society Hill section of Philadelphia is a quiet area with a historic church and cemetery where revolutionary war soldiers are buried.
Residents and police say there is little crime in this neighborhood, but Monday night gunfire shattered the peace.
It happened around 11:20 p.m. on the corner of Lawrence and Pine streets.
Police say the 46-year-old victim from Southwest Philadelphia was on his way to work, when two suspects approached him.
"I'm pretty sure it was three shots, and that's when I looked out the window and saw the person lying on his back," said Rob Biron.
Biron called 911 and meanwhile two other people stopped to help.
Investigators believe robbery was the motive for the shooting.
"We have a witness. What we have is two white males or light-skinned Hispanic males running eastbound on Pine Street after the robbery. During the robbery, the male was shot in the chest," said Lieutenant Ray Evers of the Philadelphia Police Department.
Police are looking at video from a nearby surveillance camera to get a better look at the suspects.
Residents and those who visit the neighborhood say they are both shocked and concerned.
"It's very shocking to hear this kind of news around here. It's an upstanding neighborhood and people are very friendly," said Karen Pandola.
Others share the same sentiment.
"This is a nice area, so its definitely a shock," said Angela Mondelli.
Anyone with information regarding the shooting is urged to contact police.
robbery, shooting, society hill, pennsylvania, philadelphia, center city, crime
- Skydiver in fatal South Jersey accident ID'd
- Sunny today, more clouds tomorrow
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Montco DA: Drug ring targeted local schools 10 min ago
- Medical chopper called to crash on Route 55
- Jogger helps rescue man from Schuylkill River
- Photos: Pictures from NJ skydiving accident
- Boston Marathon to be under tight security
- SKorean president: Ferry crew actions 'murderous'
- Surveillance expected from Target heist
- Teen stowaway survives flight in landing gear
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Photos: Jamie Apody welcomes Baby Chase!