Gunman sought in Northern Liberties shooting
NORTHERN LIBERTIES - November 17, 2011 (WPVI) -- Philadelphia police are hoping a surveillance camera can lead to the gunman who shot a young man in a robbery gone bad.
29-year-old Kevin Neary of Northern Liberties was recovering Thursday night from a brutal attack that left him with a gunshot wound to the neck.
"My son Kevin has lived in the city for about 10 years from the time he went to the University of Pennsylvania. He loves the city, he loved the whole life in the city," Kevin's father Joe Neary, Sr. said.
On Monday Night, Kevin Neary was at the King's Oak Pub at the Piazza watching Monday Night football with friends.
Police say at about 2:46 a.m. Tuesday, he was walking home in the 700 Block of Bodine when he was approached by a gunman police say is seen in surveillance video. The man demanded his belongings. But before Neary could react, the gunman shot him in the neck. Police say the gunman then fled without taking anything.
"It's a terrible crime and we would like to get this person identified and quickly brought in," Philadelphia Police Lt. Pat Doughtery said.
Police say the suspect was last seen running on American Street near Brown.
Neary's father, a township commissioner in Chichester, says his son had formed his own nurse and healthcare recruitment agency.
"He loved helping people; he loved working with other health care professionals," Joe Neary, Sr. said
"He's my hero; he's one of the most amazing people that I've ever known. Just a smile, he lights up a room when he walks in," brother Joe Neary, Jr. said.
"It's just tough because he's just touched so many people's lives and someone decided to do this to him," brother Chris Neary said.
With Kevin in serious condition at Hahnemann, his family is hoping that someone knows who the man on the surveillance video is and will do the right thing and call 911.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, northern liberties, shooting, crime, dann cuellar
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days 4 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Oil slick, debris not from missing Malaysia jet 48 min ago
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- Are store credit cards worth the discount?
- Video: Skydiver's mid-air collision with plane 54 min ago
- Photos: Kevin Grow joins Harlem Globetrotters
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act 32 min ago
- Skydiver's mid-air collision with plane
54 min ago